Friday, April 20, 2007

Evangelism and Hope

Now don't freak out over that word 'evangelism' we all do it in one way or another. I just want to share an essay by my friend Elizabeth over at Telling Secrets. This is truly a gift:

He smelled of fish, gasoline, cigarettes and stale beer. His pale denim jacket matched his jeans, right down to the rips and tatters here and there. His gray hair was as long, thin and wily as his body, and his face was filled with the sort of deep wrinkles known to those who spend most of their days fishing and crabbing the waters of the Delmarva Peninsula.

He was in front of me at the local Deli, his purchases spread out on the counter like modern artifacts of his life: two cartons of menthol no-name brand cigarettes, a six pack of beer, a large bag of potato chips, a pack of dried beef jerky, and a box of 12 chocolate cupcakes, on sale for $1.99. I suspected that was his supper.

As he completed his transaction, counting out the coins to the exact amount, he took the last dollar in his wallet to purchase a Lottery ticket. Turning to me he hesitated and stammered a bit before he said, “Can I ask you a favor?”

“Sure,” I said, “what?”

“It may sound a little strange . . .” he cautioned.

I looked at him and then at the cashier who had been engaging in friendly chatter with him while she rang up his order. She smiled at me and her eyes indicated that it would be okay. I looked back at him and tried not to look astonished as he asked, “Will you kiss this bill for me? I need all the luck I can get with this Lottery ticket.”

Read the rest. It will do your heart good. No, I didn't ask permission. I figured that if she can post my photos of double rainbows, I can post part - and link - to this entire piece. So, what are you waiting for? Go HERE.
You will be blessed. If Elizabeth sees him again, I am sure we will know if her kiss was a lottery winner.

More later.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...