Monday, April 16, 2007

Rain, Nor'easter, and Pain...

While this weekend nor’easter has definitely been an E ticket ride, it certainly put a crimp in my timetable for the ongoing mother of all moves. Jebus, isn't it over yet? Anyway, I thought the heaviest rains happened overnight Saturday into Sunday until about 4:30, so I assumed the worst was over. (You know what they say about 'assume') When things calmed down I met Viponnah for a bite, and it appeared as though the sky was clearing a bit. So, the storm was over; much ado about nothing…Wrong.

The worst rains hit last night and the flooding soon followed. Some streets and back roads were blocked and impassible, while police closed others. Having tried to make a run to the grocery store and turned back by state troopers, I decided to come back to the house and not even attempt a quick trip to the new place with what was already in the car.

My aching back thanked me for making that wise decision.

With winds whipping through here at 40 mph and gusting to 65 mph, the house shook, wheezed, trembled, scraped, crackled, and otherwise scared the crap out of the cats. They spent most of their time under the covers or on my desk and at my feet.

I braced for the inevitable power outage that never came. Surprise!

I was able to get work done and pick through items I wanted to pack into the car for another trip to the new place. Chucked, wrapped, bagged, and put more things into the car.

The rain finally stopped this morning and I made a run to deliver what was in the car. The winds were still in the 40 mph range and gusting, but I managed to get a few things unloaded without being swept off my feet. Literally.

While at the new place I emptied boxes and made the bed, so at least it ‘looked’ as though I lived there. It was a tight squeeze. The room is smaller than I thought and my butt kept banging into bookcase, dresser, and chair as I put mattress cover, sheets, and comforter on the bed.

It will be much easier once all the cartons and boxes are out of there and I actually live in the house. It will be a relief to unpack and store the CDs and DVDs and see the progress. Chaos will turn to calm…and not bloody soon enough for me.

As I made my way back here I decided to do the grocery shopping not done on Saturday. The store was empty and I was in and out in record time. After putting away the groceries I thought I would pack the car and make another trip, possibly empty kitchen things, and finish making the bed, since the pillows are still here. I was feeling a sense of accomplishment and renewed energy. As I began collecting and organizing what was next to go, the power went off. After a minute or two, it was on again. Then off. Then on.

Then…off. Oh. No.

Surprise? No. A day late, however. It had to happen, especially with such high winds.

After a few false starts, power was finally restored about three hours later. By that time the temperature in the house was 48 degrees and I was too cold and tired to make another trip. So, with power restored, I sent an email to my housemate telling him of my visit and plans for the rest of the week; which includes more trips/caravans, and getting an adjustment by my chiropractor – who, it turns out, is away until Wednesday. Sheesh!

Oh well, it’s cocktail time somewhere…oh, even here. I didn't realize it was so late. It’s been a long day. Do I smell olives? Cheers.

More later.

*

2 comments:

  1. Your excellent writing skills chronicling your "adventures" continues to interest and fascinate we of the great unwashed masses out here. Rest assured that there is a pot of gold at the end of your rainbow. However, you may get wet during your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. However slowly, you are moving on. Your peace will come to you and you will heal.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...