Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday the 13th, Black Cats, Soft Shell Crabs, & Happy Tourists.

Quite a mix.  You got a problem with that?

I successfully avoided black cats and walking under ladders today (Friday the 13th), but so far, still no return of my sense of smell or taste. Those crawfish and beer will have to wait a while longer. I am not going to waste either if I can't enjoy them. This is a frustrating situation for one who loves food.

The restaurant received a new order of fresh soft-shell crabs and they are large beauties and thankfully, we saute them (not fry) at the restaurant.  Oh my, are they (as I remember) delicious.

The workday was a joy and very busy. There were 6 servers scheduled, 3 are relatively new, I was hoping they could hold their own under pressure. Especially if the rains came again we would be inundated with not only rain, but with diners, too. While the rain held off until this evening, it was far from a beach day and customers began flowing in as I opened the doors.

The flow of diners was measured and I was able to spread the parties among the 6 server stations without overwhelming them in the process. The mix was good and those lingering over a glass of wine or margarita gave servers the time to bus their other tables for the next seating. I am glad the servers felt comfortable with the method of seating implemented, because I was totally confident in their ability to keep up. Maybe I projected that.  Who knows? Who cares?  It worked!

The minor glitches were the fault of the kitchen staff, so while I was annoyed for the diners, I was grateful that the servers caught potential problems before the meals were delivered to the tables.  A good job all round.

No major customer freak outs or  craziness to report, so I am sorry if this post disappoints you. I know some regular readers always look forward to the "you can't make this stuff up" stories, but nice, sane people were the order of the day.

Leftovers and a gin & tonic are on the menu this evening. Just to keep the body and mind (what's left of it) going til tomorrow, when (hopefully) those 2 senses return,

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. Oh darn! I so look forward to the "you can't make this stuff up" posts. Anyone who is in the customer service business knows that there is always a some new, unbelievable problem with the customer (or guests in my situation.) I'm glad your work day went smooth for you today. Of course one would like to read about you performing a Jet Blue type of action (the airline attendant who made a fast exit out of the chute after grabbing two beers.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you know, I totally forgot that it was Friday the 13th yesterday! Hmmm, so much for that.
    I think your little side comment about projecting that things will go well is a sign of a good manager/supervisor. It works when it is genuine (as it was in your case), but fail miserably when it is faked (as it usually is).

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...