Monday, June 11, 2007

Bless them, and send Them off to War...

I have mixed emotions. No, that’s not true. I know we were wrong to invade Iraq and the fact that we are losing so many young men and women in Bush’s folly makes me cringe. It is in that context that I relate the following from church service yesterday.

A sweet, beautiful, devoted, member of the church who happened to be the crucifer for the service, is going off to war in Iraq this very week. He can't be more than 19 year old!

During the service the Rector took a break to anoint this young man and bless his medal of St. Michael.

As he knelt at the altar with his back to us and his head bowed, The Rector offered up a blessing that brought tears to my eyes then - - as it does every now and then since.

Although he kept politics out of the blessing and praised this young man for all he did and does for the parish, it was clear that The Rector had contempt in his heart for the mis-administration responsible for this war in the first place. The parents were obviously proud of their son, but you could see the anxiety and fear in their eyes. There are currently over sixty members of the church serving in Iraq or Afghanistan. Their names are listed every week with the prayer list in the bulletin.

I pray for this young man, Dustin, every time I think of him. And in that way I guess I am praying for all the other Dustins sent where they should not go. He is National Guard, by the way, not Army, and should be home in case of another national disaster if one should hit the east coast, which is very possible this year.

I know. What I am really saying is that young people like Dustin, who haven’t begun to live life yet, shouldn’t have to fight in Bush’s fuckery at all.

More later.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...