Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Another Day in Paradise

A severe weather bulletin before leaving this morning about fast moving thunderboomers heading our way attracted my attention, but the sky was only a bit hazy when I hit the road. However, when I looked into the rearview mirror as I headed south, the northern sky was menacing, almost black. The storms were still pretty far north, so I made a scheduled stop at the pharmacy to pick up a prescription and a few items before going in to work.

As I headed to the check out, a storm of intense ferocity hit the area that caused the building to shake as the rain, wind, hale, lightening and thunder rolled through with the roar of a 747 jet.

Genius that I am, I took precautions by bringing along an umbrella, rain slicker, and hat. Unfortunately, they were in the car when the storm blew in.

So I meandered around the drug store for about a half hour - not having meandered in years - discovering things that I had no idea would be on the shelves of a drug store. When there was a slack in the rain I made a run for the car - big mistake - the rain decided to increase as I was dashing through the parking lot. I got soaked to the skin

I lead a charmed life, no?

Making my way to the park-n-ride for the bus into town I observed the most bizarre lightening strike very close by. Unlike usual strikes this one remained virtually still - from clouds to ground - for seconds. It felt as though time stood still. And as soon as it retreated, the following thunder actually shook the car, rattling loose items in the glove box. Scary!!! This strike was VERY close. It was (I pray) a once in a lifetime visual event. I love thunderstorms, but only when I am in a safe place and can watch the action through a window. I would not enjoy viewing this storm again.

I learned later in the day that the strike hit a home in an upscale neighborhood and the house burned to the ground. Thank G*d, no one was home at the time. Yes, this is a very small town...

Meanwhile at job #2, A very handsome Russian guy looking for summer work came in with his girlfriend to collect an application, looked at me and said, "do you know you have beautiful eyes, you should not be sad" he then gave me the biggest bear hug I have ever had. His girlfriend smiled, then hugged me, too. They were probably in their 30s - I am old enough to be their father. OK, I survived.

Following my after-shift cocktail I caught the bus back to the car park wondering if I had an apartment to return to, and suddenly thought what a relief it would be if there was nothing. Seriously. I don't care about 'things' anymore. I have only held on to pieces of art that make me happy and a few of my own photographs; music CDs, but not many, and DVDs I will watch over and over until I die.

A blank slate would be nice. I need a different life.

And so it goes.

9 comments:

  1. Another well written, interesting post of a slice of your life. However, when you mention "a blank slate would be nice" you sound like you're forsaking your friends that have stayed with you through your crises. Are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had some of those storms too and one clap in our area literally shook the house. I did not hear of servere damage (as the burned home in yours) in our area. Like you I enjoy watching thunderstorms - from a safe and dry location!

    What a Russian sweetheart! Do you think we can "convert" him? Let's put it on our "agenda". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your handsome Russian visitor gave you good advice. Try to always smile, especially at work. You are so much more attractive. No one wants a sad puppy. Let that effervescent personality of yours shine when you're out in the public. Postive thinking, postive things happen. Negative thinking, negative things happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron: There is no mention of friends in the post. It's all about 'things' that remind me of my previous life.

    Lem: Yes, these storms came down from PA, so I am not surprised by your experiences. The Russians are known for kissing other men on the mouth. Alas, that didn't happen, but the hug was warm and happily received - and savoured. (smile)
    Thanks for stopping by. Please consider posting again. All of us readers miss you and wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you wouldn't be too difficult to make a different life, if you really wanted it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep your mouth open just in case one of those Russians happens by to an old fashion kiss. You gotta grab your opportunities where you can :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ron, it is impossible to be sad at that job. Too much fun. Maybe he saw something in my tired old eyes - who knows?

    Again, Ron..What kind of a guy do you think I am. Keep my mouth open, indeed!

    Spo: Oh I want it and am doing my best to make it happen, without ruby slippers however, it takes a bit longer. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I now know that feeling too, soaked to the bone, but we got save indoors after the tornado warning. [Until now no tornado has been in sight].

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ron Tipton sent me over here. He is a sweetheart, and my favorite blog friend, but don't tell him, I love the silent film Wings, and my old man loves the Pet shop boys. Pet shop boys are going to be here at the Greek theater this summer. Later, Mike

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...