Thursday, June 4, 2009

One of those days...

Come on. You've had them. Whatever can go wrong goes disastrously wrong. Today was one of those. I haven't posted recently because working 6 or 7 day weeks doesn't leave time for much else.

NOTE: Thanks to my grandfather, I've never used an alarm clock.

It began when I woke up later than usual. I am usually good at figuring out the time by the sunrise. Not so, today. The heavy cloud cover lulled me into believing it was earlier than it was. Then I gazed at the clock and sprang out of bed. Did the necessaries (thank G*d I showered last night) and made it out the door only 10 minutes later than usual. As I was leaving my landlady gave me a piece of mail. It was from the IRS! That didn't register at that moment - getting to work was the first concern.

No sweat, I thought. No coffee, no breakfast food, but no problem. I had lunch and a snack to get through the day.

However, an ugly accident between a cement truck and a small Ford brought everything to a standstill for 20 minutes. The plan had been to hit the supermarket before work for a few items needing no refrigeration, and the rest of the list afterward. That was now out of the question.

Arrived at the car park at work only to find no spaces within close proximity to the store - oh, and it was now raining very hard. I had no slicker. By the time I entered the store I was drenched and cold. Fortunately, I had a tee-shirt in my pack so I hung the work shirt to dry, praying it would dry before I opened the store. It did.

The store was ready and open on time and I was fairly busy all day - no sale - but busy all day. Not good.

I was more than ready to get out of there when my relief arrived, so I could finally get the groceries and back to the apartment before the evening thunderstorms blew through.

The fave supermarket (where I am well known) is near work, so I arrived, grabbed a cart, pulled out the list and began checking off items in record time. Ran into a number of folks I know and enjoyed a brief chat with them before heading to the checkout. The woman ahead of me was trying to get away with a store special of 2 cartons of a premium ice cream for $6.00 by buying 8 cartons! The cashier kindly pointed out that the limit was 4 cartons and the old bitch promptly went batshit crazy. She was eventually led away to have a meeting with the manager as the ice cream melted in her cart.

My items were already on the belt and as I reached for the wallet a cold chill ran down my spine. I. HAD. NO. WALLET!

Yes, I remembered lunch this morning but in the rush forgot my wallet resting peacefully on my chest of drawers. I quickly apologized to Kelly the cashier, and began putting the items back into the cart to return them to the respective shelves. I must have looked a wreck. Kelly touched my hand and said, "I'll take care of that for you. Looks like you're having one of those days."

Bless you Kelly, you are psychic and a dear.

More later.
*

3 comments:

  1. Hope you're doing better now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of those days indeed. You do lead such an interesting life. Never a dull moment. I guess that why I like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In every darkness, there is a "Kelly". I hope the world rewards her(him?) richly! (And I hope your days are improving!)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...