Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Countdown to Labor Day...

Friday was as beautiful as Thursday was ugly - in every possible way. Woke to temps in the upper 60's and a cool breeze blew in from the Atlantic. Humidity was low and the sky was clear and bright blue. Today turned out to be an exact duplicate. For some reason I feel happy, if more than a little overwhelmed by the present work schedule. Doing surprisingly well though, if I may say so myself. And I just did!

With another 6-day work week under the belt, counting down to Labor Day and the end of the tourist season, I am looking forward to the less hectic work environment. I am actually looking forward to Autumn this year. Since I haven't looked forward to anything these past three years, this is very telling about my frame of mind. Yes, I notice this stuff. Annoying, isn't it?

No new friends to speak of, but that will change as I get out and socialize more in the cooler months. As least that's the plan. When I begin to see the fruits of my labors, so to speak, and enjoy a bit of that gay "disposable income" everyone talks about, I'll know that I have made a significant dent in the ever growing bills - medical or otherwise.

The boss at job #2 is definitely keeping me on after the summer - so, I suppose I performed well enough - but I have no idea how many days or in what capacity. It was interesting to hear him talk about what the place is like off-season. The more relaxing atmosphere, regular customers and locals returning when the parking meters are shut down, and the changes in the menu he has planned. Saying basically, "you're going to love it"! Sounds great to me. I am grateful to be a part of something, and this something is right up my alley.

Truth be told, I didn't expect to land the job. I didn't know if I would fit in, or if I was too old, or even if the owners didn't want to get involved because of the previous life. This was one of our favourite local restaurants and had been customers for about 10 years before the relationship dissolved. But, I thought, what the hell! Maybe they wouldn't even remember me, I downloaded the application, completed and hand delivered it to the restaurant. I was shocked when I got the call a week later for an interview; surprised when they called back and offered me the job.

Experiencing the restaurant from this 'other' perspective has been quite an education. Having always loved working with the public, this restaurant especially has been great fun and challenging for a guy my age. I learn something new every day so what's not to love! Bits of information helpful to make things run smoothly are shared often. As if the boss chooses the precise time when the info will most likely stick in my gray matter.

Of course Autumn will be a sad time as the students working for the summer return to their countries and universities in September and October. We've become friends and I know I will miss them. They keep everyone cheerful by noting that they have Internet access and will keep in touch. The two guys from Jordan want me to think seriously about visiting them in Amman in the future. I would like that very much. Practically speaking, it's not likely to happen anytime soon. Others will return to Russia, Ukraine and Romania, to name a few. I have been blessed to get to know them. Maybe I was a positive example of an older American who was more interested in them than in the politics of their countries. At least I get that impression.

I plan to take pictures of them all before we go our separate ways and they will be posted here. Promise.

Four more weeks to Labor Day, but who's counting? Um, me.

And so it goes.
*

6 comments:

  1. Just relax and have a glass of absinth or a martini while you enjoy the last weeks of summer.

    It's good to hear job #2 is not a temporary one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot imagine a better person to represent the US to young people from other countries who have been told how horrible we all.
    Your curiosity and willingness to listen are a true gift. May you continue to use them well.

    Come to NYC. I miss seeing your funny face

    THC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice Peter. I am feeling very blessed right now. And, my friend, I am looking forward to a Sazerac cocktail AFTER Labor Day when the weather cools down a bit.
    Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet again, you have made another excellent posting of a day in your life. You have come a long way my friend. It hardly seems like three years ago when your change of life occurred. As you know it coincided with my particular nightmare so I can never forget the summer of 2006. We have both been through a lot in these past three years and have emerged stronger than before. But then was there ever a doubt?

    I wish you much success on Job #2. It is the perfect fit for your talents and personality. And on that day when your Prince Charming comes strolling through that door of Job #2, remember I told you so. Now go see your friends in NYC and enjoy yourself! You've earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Labor Day can wait, thank you very much
    While I don't like the heat, time is going way to fast as it is to push it along !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your friendship with the foreign students goes further than just the relationship of person to person. I am convinced that such encounters go a long way toward mending and healing the destruction of the last eight years.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...