Sunday, August 30, 2009

DISH TV: Part Two

I can't watch a DVD or video at present. Why? Well, now there are two reasons. 1) The Combo unit used to connect to the DirecTV control box, but now there is no box. When I tried to play a DVD last evening a message appeared on the screen "no signal" and when I looked behind the TV I noticed the yellow, white, and red cable was lying on the floor. I was so pissed, I took a shower and went to bed.

2) When I got in from work this evening and turned on the TV it emitted a loud 'pop' and died. I had hoped to put off the visit to the Sony store until next month, but I guess I'll be stopping by after work tomorrow after all.

Above is the 26L5000 - 26" LCD TV that I've been eyeing, but I'll have to find out if it requires an audio receiver between the DVD player and the TV and what cables are necessary. I used to know all this stuff in the dark ages, but nothing is easy to figure out these days, not to mention the new words for everything. I feel so out of touch.

I'm told the L5000 sells for $369.00 at the Sony store, so with a 15% discount it would be about $314.00 IF the sale is still on. And, since the accessories necessary for the now dead TV to function properly were to cost around $200.00 I am not feeling so bad. I get a new TV and save the extra $$$ required to run the dead one. You can imagine how I would feel if I purchased all that stuff and the TV suddenly died as it did today. This death was a blessing.

May this old 20' Sony CRT rest in peace. It gave me many years of joy and entertainment.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. time to go to -

    http://www.theonion.com/content/video/sony_releases_new_stupid_piece_of

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Ur-spo, this got my morning off to a great start. I'll be a happy camper all day thanks to you.

    But, I may not look into the new Worthless piece of...when I get to the Sony store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urspo's link is the kind of article that *real* consumer reporting ought to be like.

    With the new TV you should be able to plug your dvd, etc into other inputs and then just use the remote to switch inputs from the dish to the dvd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lem, The problem is there is no DISH box to connect to, the LL got the two-fer box and it is connected to both her TV and mine. I guess she thought she was doing a good thing and saving me money. Which she was, but...

    I will check out receivers while at the Sony store - which will happen soon. Meanwhile I am viewing DVDs on the PC.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...