Sunday, March 28, 2010

About Things Out of Place

Last week a co-worker bought the living room furniture that's been in storage for almost 3 years and this evening after work he picked it up. A bit dusty but none the worse for being in total darkness all that time.  It was strange to see it go, although it was my "share" of the "settlement" from the breakup. Funny how we attach so much energy and emotion to "things"in life, isn't it.

Lots of memories attached to that stuff and now it's gone - another relic from the past out of my life - going on to make new memories for others, while I still have my own. I must say, there is a pulling at my heart this evening.  Well, that too, shall pass.

As I drove away from the storage lot I was both relieved and a little sad, but it's all for the best and I am half way closer to being free of the added expense of renting the unit. Only the bedroom set remains and I have a nibble of interest on that as well.

Now the boxes of books that were inaccessible before can be retrieved and delivered to the thrift store for sale with the money going to a good cause. People in need. What could be more appropriate right now?

As a dear old friend is fond of saying, "Joy, Anyway!"

It's turned colder and windy today, so following a festive martini Chicken and Pork Chili is the supper for tonight.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. Still, it is usually good to get rid of such things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep picking away at getting rid of "stuff". I wish I could get my wife to do the same. I envy people who live simply, unencumbered with belongings. ...and yet nearly every item I own has its story (mostly happy ones) and its people that it brings back to mind. I think I've ditched the items with ugly memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A remark you made about your former home often comes to my mind. Remember once when I was helping you to move some of your things you stopped and turned around and looked at your great room and said "this house used to sing." Of coure you were referring to your gathering of friends for a pot luck and other events.I was there once during a pot luck event. You were right, it sang. I hope you have those days again.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...