Sunday, February 3, 2013

I See Crazy People: 2013 Polar Bear Plunge!

Enough said.

I had to be in to work at 7:30 am to get set up and rolling for a 9:30 opening to serve a special Polar Bear Brunch to all the crazy folks who jump into the ocean in support of the Special Olympics.  I know. I know.

Between 9:30 and Noon we served 110 brunches to plungers (?) of every shape, size, and age; from 8 to 83!  No kidding.

There was then a brief 45 minutes between the pre-plunge brunch diners (say that fast 3 times!), and the post-plunge lunch/dinner diners who watched, cheered on, and held large towels for the more than 3,500 good sports who actually slid into the frigid 37' F water. So, from about 1:30 til 3:30 we served a steady stream of another (cold and wet) 100, or more.

On a positive note I was told the water was warmer and calmer than in previous years.  Yes, I find that quite comforting, indeed!  Not.  Who cares about that when you won't see your balls for the next 48 hours?

As my shift was ending, the Super Bowl crazies began to arrive and claim their reserved tables. (In these parts purple was all the rage - Ravens colors - and just about everything on the bodies was that color, even their hair - the visible hair, that is.) After helping to get them settled in, I bolted for the door and walked home. On the way I started to feel light-headed, dizzy, and then it hit me that I had nothing in my stomach since my morning egg and toast, at 6 am! I ought to have had oatmeal, but didn't, for some reason.  I don't know why.

Feeling so tired (and hungry) I almost settled for leftovers, but decided to do something pretty easy.  Roasted chicken and roasted new potatoes, with a salad. Supper is in the oven and I just made a festive cocktail.  Three olives, no waiting!

Tomorrow is my Friday and I am looking forward to the following two days off. Of course, with my luck, it will snow or rain on one or both days.

Well, Cheers!

And so it goes.

3 comments:

  1. you have had a busy day. yeah, talk about shrinkage! personally I would rather serve the polar bears than the super bowl crowd.

    have a restful 2 days off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our friends from VA come every year to plunge into the cold ocean. I hold their towels or film them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instead of calling it the "Polar Bear Plunge" they should call it "Major Shrinkage Event." Just saying.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...