Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A Stupid Bowl Party

Please note: the media hype the week leading up to the BIG event made me homesick. There was my hometown - the good, bad, and ugly - on display and it was clear (even without sound on the TVs) that a good time was being had by all. Hospitality is my town's middle name. I could almost smell the food and taste the humidity in the air. I hope to visit sometime soon.

That said, just as I was winding down from the long hours and Polar Bear Plunge on Sunday, one of my neighbors decided to have a few friends over for a Stupid Bowl party. And party they did.

Though they were restrained as I went to bed and drifted into a deep sleep,by the end of Half-Time (yes, I could hear Beyonce from their house) they were a rowdy bunch, indeed. These are straight folks, BTW.

Clearly elated by the Ravens win, they partied long into the night.  It was after 2 AM when things finally quieted down and I was able to grab a few hours of unsettled sleep, punctuated with bad dreams. No, I won't go there.

To say that I dragged my butt all day Monday would be an understatement. Of course the diehard fans who stayed over after the plunge and Stupid Bowl chose the restaurant for lunch before heading back to their caves. To be fair, we're one of only a handful of good restaurants open for lunch on week days. The fast food joints out on the highway are mostly for the tourists.  At least the brisk business kept me awake on on my toes until my shift ended.

On the bright side, I met 2 guys who moved to the area recently. They've been together over 30 years, just retired, sold their big house in Maryland are now full time residents. We seemed to hit it off right away.  They're very nice, smart, laugh easily and have a wicked sensahumah. We exchanged phone numbers and I warned them about the obscene hours I work during the season.  I hope we can break bread together in the near future.  While they love DL and good food, they know few other local eateries and this would be a chance to visit some of my faves with new friends.

Thankfully, the neighborhood was quiet as I got in and made a hasty bit of leftover soup and salad for supper. I watched a Cousteau documentary on YouTube, took a fast shower and was under the covers by 8:30.  Believe it, or not.  I slept like a stone until - - - SEVEN O'CLOCK this morning.  Yes.  Me!

I decided that today would be a good day to do nothing much outdoors, so I worked on the taxes, listened to music, downloaded a couple of books to the Kindle, and even put fresh sheets on the bed. I shall sleep well again, tonight.  

Tomorrow is another day.  Now, where have I heard that line before?

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. nothing wrong with sleeping in, dear. your body must have been begging for a good rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the long sleep. It's such a rarity, it like winning a prize, isn't it? I've reached the age now when I go to bed and tell myself, or beg myself, to sleep more than 4 hours. It rarely happens though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see the show. I was pleased to dodge all the calories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "heading back to their caves" or under their rocks? I am so thankful that I live in a neighborhood where I don't have to "enjoy" my neighbors' parties.
    I'm glad to hear you met some new friends. These are obviously two very bright guys because they see you have a lot to offer in friendship.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...