Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Lightning & Death in the Morning.


This, my single day off until Labor Day, began about as uneventful as one might expect. Though raining heavily at 6 am, I was to be found running a few loads of laundry and changing the bed linens between washing and drying.

All done - laundry ironed, folded, and put away - I snatched up (and dusted off the last week’s lists and headed out the door. Though the sky was no longer as dark and foreboding as earlier the rain was a constant annoyance none-the-less.

I had gone a few blocks when I came upon the scene of a 2-vehicle accident at the circle that leads into, out of, and around the town. Someone had neglected to yield as directed  by the signs (with flashing LEDS) and a food truck slammed into the offending car almost shearing off the entire front end in the process. All traffic stopped.  The driver of the car had to be extricated from the vehicle, which took quite some time.  

Finally on my way again as I enter Coastal Highway heading north, a jeep suddenly bolts at high speed from a side street and without heeding oncoming traffic patterns, races across all three lanes to get into the left-turn lane at the next traffic light.  Too late for both the jeep driver and the person already in that lane.  There was nowhere either could go to get away from the other. The sounds were horrible, metal scraping, breaking glass and human screams all in a few seconds that seemed a lot longer.  I am sure this one ended badly for both drivers.

I was in the right lane and continued on my way unharmed as those behind went into rubbernecking mode. Arriving safely at the dry cleaners, then market, I wanted to get off the roads as quickly as possible, so the last stop was the liquor store for a few bottles of wine, which ought to hold me for the duration.

Back on the road and heading south into town the rain became heavier, the wind increased, making it impossible to see the roadway. I pulled into a parking lot to wait out the storm - and just in time. There was a sudden flash of lightning followed immediately by a crash of thunder that made the car shudder and the hairs on my arms stand on end; the air smelled acrid and I was scared to death.  I was tempted to crack open one of those wine bottles to calm myself down. I didn't.

As the rain let up I half expected to see a giant crater where lightning hit the ground, but there was none.  Obviously, though it was close, it wasn’t that close.  Thank goodness for that. 

Got back on the roadway and made my way into town via back roads, avoiding the traffic lights and the damned circle in the process. 

It was after noon when I finally got in (I left at 9:15!!!) The car is safe and secure for the next week or so, and plans are to listen to music and maybe even watch a film this afternoon.  Nothing too exciting.  There’s been enough excitement in the last few hours to last the better part of a week. Thank you very much...

And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. sweet mother of pearl! you can't fight the stoopid, but the poor innocent victims of the stoopid...

    glad to hear you are ok. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...