Sunday, August 18, 2013

Our Luck Ran Out


We were getting spoiled with clear skies and temps in the 70s over the past 4 days, but all that changed over night (really!); the rains came and brought along high winds and even cooler temperatures.

That being the case, the logical scenario played out like clockwork, as it has for years. Highways at max capacity, movie theaters sold out (before even opening), Outlet Malls packing them in like sardines.

Then, of course, there’s the eating and drinking part. They began pulling on the doors at 9:30 - pointing to their watches and miming for cocktails.  They kept piling up outside in the rain, yes in the rain, waiting for the doors to open.  When we opened them at 10:30 they didn’t close for a good 20 minutes.  The restaurant was full and on a waiting list before 11 AM.  We opened with three bartenders, eight servers, and a kitchen staff of 18 and were hard pressed to keep up.

Fortunately, there wasn’t a grump or whiner in the lot, so it made for a relatively smooth day.  

It remained like that all day, the high humidity played havoc with my back and hands, but we made it through and I have just now waddled home, with a neighbor’s dog close at hand, following me up the stairs for a few ear-rubs and neck scratches.  That always makes me feel better, somehow. She’s such a sweet old girl. She was all wet, but weren’t we all!

If you’ll excuse me, I think I smell olives and without having time for lunch, I am sure the concoction will go right to my head - and that’s not a bad thing.  Just in case, I will prepare supper while I sip.  

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. cloudy and cool and no rain here; spouse and I just got home from the phillies-dodgers baseball game. WE WON!

    I smell a mint ice cream sammich in the freezer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. nasty humidity: splendid olives!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...