Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Certified, Satisfied, and a SNAFU

Whoa! Today was quite a ride! Mostly in a good way, though there was one minor snafu. More about that later.

I was slug-slow when I got out of bed. Having contracted a head cold sometime over the weekend last evening/night was the worst so I awoke completely drained. Dragged the tired ol' body into the loo and brushed teeth. Coffee didn't sound appetizing, so the first thing to touch my lips was a large mug of hot green tea with honey and lemon. {{{Heaven}}}.

I felt much better following a hot shower and enjoyed a scrambled egg sandwich and two glasses of orange juice before checking the to-do list and getting dressed.

One errand took me to the bank; another to the jewelry store where, it seems - though everyone knows the combination - I am the only person who knows the trick to getting the small safe to open. Greeted by a frustrated co-worker who busied herself elsewhere, I quickly had the safe open and its special contents ready for the display cases. Co-worker was immediately grateful and gave me a little hug. It looks like I will be doing this until the store closes because NO ONE else can get the damned thing open. What they're going to do once I've moved on, I don't know and I am not going to fret over it. Their problem, after all.

I was a bit early for the 4-hour class to be certified to mix and serve alcoholic beverages in the state, so I began reading the rules and laws concerning alcohol and tobacco products. Oh Boy! They regulate everything here. The word "control" doesn't cover half of it. Many interesting questions were raised by attendees from other less regulated states, to which there were no satisfactory answers - 'cause the rules make no sense, really. The four hours of painful nitpicking many silly laws provided me with a sparkling headache to go with my aching sinuses.

Anyway, I passed - missed two answers. One I totally misread, the other I stupidly circled the wrong answer by mistake. Don't ask.

Note to self: Try not to take any exam while under the influence of an antihistamine. One can easily get their mords wixed.

I may now - legally - publicly mix and serve alcoholic beverages in Delaware. Yay, Me! Who-da Thunkit?

Now, the SNAFU. Last week when I signed up to take the class I asked the weekend Host if he could cover for me this one day. He agreed to cover right away. I made sure to ask him twice more if he was sure it was OK. I was assured everything was a go. I even informed the boss of the switch and the reason behind it. He was thrilled - I don't know what he has up his sleeve - but yes, he was thrilled. Whatever it is, I hope it is good for both the business and me.

Fast forward to this past weekend when I received a call from the weekend host asking that I cover for him this coming Saturday - 12/19 - to which I replied I'd be happy to, and reminded him once again, that he was covering for me today.

Fast forward to this afternoon. I arrive at the apartment to 5 messages on the voice mail. The first from the weekend host (who is usually a server on Tuesdays) wondering where I was and reminding me that I was "scheduled to host lunch shift today and call us as soon as you can." The following 3 were left within 15 minutes of the first with one being from the boss. The last call was about an hour later and again it was the boss, but this time more subdued asking simply that I call him when I get in. I did.

Seems the lousy memory of the dumbass weekend host threw the place into a tizzy and it wasn't until the boss spotted the class schedule that he confronted said dumbass who began flopping around like a fish out of water. After a few risky dodges he reluctantly admitted his forgetfulness and apologized for the drama he had caused.

All ended well. But...Trust me, he'll be paying for this one a long way down the road. I am quick to forgive; the boss, not so much.

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. I have no trouble getting my mords wixed *without* assistance of drugs, legal or otherwise. :)

    I am happy to hear that the boss finally turned on his own light and understood the real reason for the snafu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on passing your bartending class! Now I know you could have passed that Census Taker Class. You weren't in a drug haze were you when you took that class?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...