Saturday, December 5, 2009

Cold and Wet

And then there is the weather...Ba-dum-bum! Same, same.

In any event you'da been proud of me today. Braving the wind, rain, and cold I trudged through and got all the errands out of the way, returning soaked to the skin and chilled to the bone. Shed the wet clothes and enjoyed a hot shower. Sipping a hot green tea with honey as I thaw some more and type this up. Then it's time for a nice lunch of soup and grilled cheese sandwich. My meal of choice in weather like this.

Seems there's one beautiful day of sun and mild temperatures followed by three or four of rain, etc. I suppose it could be worse, like the poor folks with all that snow in Texas. While it feels cold enough for the rain to turn to snow, the forecasters insist it won't. Like they're never wrong.

My fave supermarket started a "gasoline rewards" program recently and it turns out to be quite a deal. One point is earned for each dollar spent in the store. With each 100 points I receive 10 cents off the going price of gasoline at their pumps. Today I saved 30 cents per gallon when I filled the tank. I paid 2.19 per gallon instead of 2.49. A nice savings. The points disappear after 30 days and I knew the end was near, so I snapped it up while running the other errands.

The restaurant Christmas Party is next week so I picked up a gift card and decided to buy a new shirt for the event. A very festive RED one I found at L.L. Bean. Picked up wrapping paper and a couple of bows for the gifts I have planned for my co-workers at the jewelry store. And two stuffed toys for the Toys for Tots box. To my delight all of these items were heavily discounted - always a good thing.

Last year's gift was a container of homemade soup mix with the recipe and instructions. It contained all the vegetables, herbs, spices, and pasta - only needed to add water and their meat or poultry of choice. It was a big hit. In years past, I would bake up a couple of batches of my grandmother's famous pumpkin/pecan bread, but without a proper oven those tasty days are over. Sigh.

The store is closing at the end of the month, so this week I begin the job search all over again. Oh the joy! Not the best time to try to find work, I know, but there's no other choice.

Just received an announcement from my innards that it is time for lunch.

More later.
*

2 comments:

  1. i would be glad to get the soup present
    very thoughtful gift, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this weather getting SO OLD? I was at Ace Hardware yesterday and the sales clerk told one of his customers "It's going to rain tomorrow." Her response was a weary groan. I know the feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...