Thursday, December 31, 2009

The End of '09, Short Flights, and Tequila Flights

Personally, I take issue with the idea that this is the end of the decade, of the aughts, as they say. We usually refer to counting from 1 to 10, not 0 to 9, after all. But, that's just me. Anyhoo...

Yesterday was busy at the restaurant - it has been all week - we were hard pressed even with 4 servers, but we managed. As usual most everyone was in great spirits. Then an amazing experience fell into our lap.

At about 12:30 pm, I answered the phone to hear a woman's voice asking for directions to the town and the restaurant, in particular. When asked where she was calling from, she replied the local airport. I was a bit confused by that, but since the airport is a private one only, I asked if she had flown in. Yes, she said. This meant they flew in by private plane. How's that, Watson?

So I gave directions for the most complicated first leg of the journey instructing her to call me back when she arrived at the first landmark. Sure enough, half hour later she's on the phone again and I guide her in the rest of the way. An hour later the door opens on two smiling faces - male and female - and with a twinkle in her eye asks if I was the one guiding them all the way into town. I said yes. She clapped her hands like a little kid almost squealing with delight.

Turns out this was a spur of the moment flight to visit the DE shore (their first!) and when they found a card for the restaurant at the airport touting a few menu items, they decided to spend time with us. We all had a great time. The manager gave them tee shirts and as they relaxed after their fajita lunch, they asked many questions about the town and area. They fell in love with the place and, since they were from New Jersey, surprised by the openness, generosity, and friendliness of the locals. Other diners visited their table, introduced themselves and offered ideas of places and shops to visit. This was one day-trip none of us will ever forget. They will probably be back in early Spring before the Season begins to spend a weekend and really get to know the area. I know the restaurant has two more fans after all is said and done.

On The Job Hunting Front: Last evening I arrived after a fun day at what will now be called Job #1, (the other job having ended on Monday) to find voicemail from the Manager of the Men's Clothing store, you know, the one who asked me to apply because there were only women on the sales floor, yes that manager. She asked that I return her call ASAP.

It was after 5 pm, but I gave it a shot and caught her just before she was to leave. She told me that the District Manager liked what she saw on the application (yes, another SHE in the men's clothing store business, go fig!) and would be willing to take me on for a "trial run" - at a very low hourly wage - with a promise of a 25 Cent per-hour raise after the 30 day trial period.

The hourly wage offered was an insult - to anyone - not only myself. Let's just say that I could earn more flipping burgers at a fast food joint - without the 30 day trial period. The salary wouldn't pay for gasoline, makeup, or work attire. The manager seemed sincerely surprised when I declined the less-than-generous offer, reminding me of the rough economy, a 25% discount on all store merchandise,and few job opportunities. I guess I was to be 'grateful' for the offer. When I declined again, she became miffed and abruptly ended the conversation, essentially hanging up on me. Oh well...

That's It! The End!
But We'll Get Over It.
My Friends.

The jewelry store formally closes today at 6 pm. The three other bauble peddlers want to meet me for a drink after closing and then get the hell out of town before the Blue Moon New Year's Eve craziness gets into full swing. I think I can do that. ONE DRINK ONLY... OK, maybe a few tequila flights, but that's all!!!

I have to work tomorrow.

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that the men's clothing store job didn't work out. However, the low wage is standard for that kind of job. I had a clothing store job once.......for four days. When I found out that I only had 20 minutes for lunch and was also expected to work Saturday....bye, bye. No wonder the ad was always in the paper.

    Not to worry though, you're eligible for Social Security now. Take it. Don't look back. Get grandfathered in before Bernacke changes the rules.

    Have a Happy New Year! Next year can only be better. It has to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that another opportunity comes your way and although it may be financially painful for you, I could not help but celebrate your decision to tell the woman to take the job and shove it. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...