Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year: Off Like a Herd of Turtles.

Turns out the co-workers decided not to have a drink after closing last night, so I stayed in, had a quiet supper and hit the bed by 9:30. No tequila flights, no Champagne toast - just a smooth Sazerac sipped after dinner. Not unusual for me, the going out for a drink part, now that would have been unusual.

Fortunately for all, 2010 arrived without my help and this morning looks exactly like the last days of '09 - fog, rain, wind, dark clouds. I was hoping for a sunny first day; there is the possibility of the sun making an appearance later this afternoon and if that happens I will take my traditional walk on the beach after work. The restaurant will be crowded for lunch, probably later than usual, since most would have been out til the wee hours celebrating, or something like it. I look forward to the busy-ness of the day.

A thick blanket of fog covers the marshes making it very quiet and peaceful, until the gunshots of duck hunters breaks the silence. I thought about playing some music, but the peace and quiet won out and I'd hate to shatter that for myself. The guns do that quite well by themselves.

The reality of being unemployed set in yesterday afternoon as I prepared to meet the others for a final cocktail. When that didn't come to be I was left the choice of mulling it over - and over, or putting it aside as there is nothing within my control that can change anything right now. It is what it is.

Here's to a better world in Twenty-Ten. Cheers!

More later.
*

4 comments:

  1. You beat me to the bed by an hour. I planned to watch the ball drop but the eyes wouldn't stay open. I feel the same way, the year found its way here without any help from me.

    Hope this one is better and you find another job soon.

    THC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your twenty-tens are the best decade yet for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of Twenty-Ten, don't you?

    Here I sit at work, about a half an hour to go before I leave and probably not return for at least a month......or two. Both of us are facing the New Year with trepidation and uncertainty. However, I do feel a sense of optimism.

    I am not looking for another job. I will direct my energies elsewhere into more satisfying endeavors. There is going to be a lot of movie watching (Netflix) in my future and less shopping and dining out. Not the worst fate.

    My friend Larry in Claymont has also had his hours cutback to almost nothing.

    There are many of us in this boat. Just another adventure. At least we're not undergoing radiation treatments like some of my friends.

    Time to wrap up this show now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that your quiet New Year's foretells of peace, calm, and good fortune for your new year.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...