Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Windows 7 - And Beyond!

Have spent the day getting to know my way around Windows 7 and so far, I am very pleased. The Wipe and Reload helped free up a lot of HD space.  Most was occupied by trial programs HP wanted to sell and which I'd never use.

Finally got the printer to work - had to call Canon Customer Support - found out the culprit was MS and it's damned 'default' settings. So much for their damned not-so-smart wizards. Problem solved in less than 15 minutes.  Please note that Canon Tech Support is here in the states, not India, or China, so that was an unexpected pleasure.  I am a happy camper this afternoon.

It's been a long 6 days awaiting the return of this machine. I did get two books read and watched a bit of TV, still,  I am amazed at the increased processing speed after 2 years under the spell of VISTA.

I toyed with the idea of going into debt for a new laptop already loaded with Windows 7, but all the attractive units required a mandatory subscription to Norton 360, which I refused to purchase for the additional $50.00. No matter where I shopped it was the same thing, even at Sony.  WTF?  So, I hope to get another year of two on this machine, then migrate to a laptop.

I detect the aroma of Olives, so it must be cocktail time.

And so it goes.
*

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're up and running again. I'm also glad to hear of the good reports on Windows 7. I may go that way myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love olives, save me a few!
    Get a Mac! with olives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. So the problem was with MS? Whodathunkit?
    To say that Windows 7 is better than Vista is certainly damning with faint praise in my book. That whole thing about requiring Norton also smells. I'm with you on that one. Both Norton and McAfee have become predatory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, Cajun!

    I hate Norton/McAfee but are very satisfied with Avira.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spo - I didn't know Mac's came with olives. All the better. ;-)

    Lem - The tech also advised against Norton & McAfee, maybe that's why the forced bundling.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...