Saturday, January 9, 2010

Of Faith, Hope, and Charity


Let me begin by boasting a bit.  Not about myself, but the guys I work for and with, the owners of the restaurant. Since I've been a customer of theirs for about 15 years I have been aware of their generosity and many of the charities and community projects they have supported over the years.

Today, as a member of staff  I got to see that spirit in great detail and I couldn't have been more amazed and humbled. You see, today the restaurant hosted a luncheon for 50 volunteers who spearheaded the 2009 Alzheimers Walk - which is also sponsored to a great degree by the restaurant, already. We had 5 of the best servers taking care of the guests, I wandered around visiting tables and joking with the diners (many of whom had never been to the restaurant), making them feel comfortable and welcome.

The event went like clockwork and the staff charmed everyone in the dining room. 

Why do I write about this, you ask?  Well, because the entire event was compliments of the two owners, that's why. I felt pride in the great effort that went into every detail of the lunch.

Mind you as this was going on in the main dining room, we had another party going on in the private dining room, while still serving from our regular menus for the lunch customers.

Today's happenings will remain in memory for a long time. It was a blessing to be of service and present to watch these various events take place; handled so well and professionally.

A side note: 4 regular lunchtimers - who prefer a specific booth - saw the completely filled dining room, smiled and said, "seat us anywhere, it looks like another charity party."  They instinctively knew what was going on and gave their blessing.

Due to the busy-ness of the day I didn't get a shift meal, which didn't matter because it was unlikely that I would have had time to enjoy it, but by the end of the shift a headache was making its presence known.

 I didn't want a shift cocktail on an empty stomach so when my relief arrived I headed back to the apartment, but not before I was approached by the boss (who has seen my many mistakes and miscalculations in the recent weeks) and who had a few words with me. He assured me that I was doing a good job, that the personality was right for the position, that customers liked me, that while there was much more to learn about the business (and their unique way of operating) I was fitting in well. Then he gave me a hug.  This validation and encouragement more than made up for a missed lunch.

Arriving at the apartment I downed a few aspirin, threw off the work drag, started cooking a bit of chicken, made a salad, and am now enjoying a festive cocktail.

Tomorrow will be my first working Sunday at the restaurant since last Easter and with the even colder weather forecast for tonight, we may be extremely busy for lunch tomorrow. I'll sleep on that.

So now it's suppertime.  Cheers!

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. A good day for you my friend. You are perfect for your job. As you acquire more experience you will become even better. I am glad for you. I wish you continued success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of other bloggers whom I read and who are working for crappy employers. It was so great to read your post affirming how your bosses give back to their community and how they affirm and motivate their employees (such as yourself). It seems as if they they would be good candidates for someone interesting in learning the secrets to good management.

    ReplyDelete
  3. W, a hug tells more than a thousand words.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...