Wednesday, January 6, 2010

There's Good News and Bad News: Part 3


I got some good news at the restaurant yesterday.  They're really doing their best to help me out. Tomorrow I begin working 5 lunch shifts weekly - with two weekdays off - for the first quarter of the year. That's fine with me. I can get more errands run on weekdays than on weekends when everyone else is trying to do the same. Working Saturday and Sunday will be another challenge and hopefully will boost my skills at running the front of the house more smoothly.

The not-so-good news is that this new schedule offers only about 30 hours a week (each shift is around 6 hours), not enough to pay the rent. So I've got to figure out something else to make the extra cash for things like, oh you know, food, bills, fuel for the car, laundry and such. I can't run a deficit for more than a month or two.

I've been spreading the word, though in the present economy the pickings are slim, indeed.

There's not much else to cut from my budget and as prices increase on practically everything, especially in the grocery markets, the old imagination is kicking in big time nowadays.

It's hard to believe the twists and turns, ups and downs my life has gone through in the last 4 years. I used to view my life as more of a Ferris Wheel or Carousel ride - steady going, predictable, familiar - but these past years have been more of a Roller Coaster ride. Unpredictable, scary, sometimes thrilling, other times upsetting.

Well, something will turn up and as long as my health holds up, I'll get through this phase, too. Eventually.

And so it goes.
*

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are getting more hours at Job #1 (or is it Job #1 now?)

    Unfortunately I know what you mean about the bills stay the same but the income is down. This is Week One of NO WORK this month on my job which paid my mortgage. That means the money has to come from somewhere. The only answer I see is tightening my spending, which for me is a major challenge. But I will do what I have to do.

    Both of us have been on a similar roller coaster these past three and a half years. Way back when I was confident I would never see another mortgage again. And here I am. But, as you say, we're healthy if not wealthy and wise. We do what we have to do. I wish you the best my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it works out for you. I am rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see either my comment didn't take, or you didn't want to have it posted.

    I did send you some thoughts in an e-mail; hope you got them.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your roller coaster analogy. It describes my own thoughts about my life well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your nice e-mail re my comments, and why you removed it.

    I'll promise to write those more personal things to you privately, and not on your blog. Diane

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...