Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I'm Back, Having Been De-Wormed


Yes, folks...Early Sunday morning while reading the papers online, read the Guardian and was reading Frank Rich in the Grey Lady when I was informed that the computer was under attack by a virus/worm/? whatever - which was followed by a warning screen containing the message that the virus scan .exe file had been corrupted. This was followed by multiple screens of Internet Explorer popping up every few seconds. I jumped into action, turning off the DSL modem and shutting down the computer. WTF, indeed!

What to do? It's Sunday of a holiday weekend, so no one would be available until Tuesday. Called a friend who suggested someone who takes care of the systems at his job. He got this guy's phone number and gave it to me.

As I headed to work Monday morning I took a chance and gave the tech a call figuring that I could at least leave a message if he was celebrating the holiday. To my great surprise and relief he answered; listened to my tale of woe while making appropriate grunts and asking important questions; finally telling me to call him after work so we could set up an appointment for today.

I did, we did, and I am back in business. He arrived at the appointed time and did his thing while peppering me with questions.  He was impressed with my routine of backing up files as well as my choice of anti-virus software. He also suggested I upgrade to Windows 7, which I will consider for the future. (I had no choice when my old PC died quite suddenly, but to get a new one ASAP as I was on deadline for a client and XP was no longer available at the time.)  He explained the memory management problems I experience (live with) in VISTA were common and which Microsoft never bothered to address in the Service Pack updates.

Anton (the tech's name) also suggested I check out a USB stick drive for back-ups over the CDs. A good idea, I think.

Fortunately I have good habits dumping cache, temp, and Internet temp files regularly, not only save space but keep the PC running well.  De-fragging the HD, which I do about every 6 weeks, also helps.

I have no idea why anyone would waste valuable time creating something designed up disrupt the lives of others. I just don't get it.

My data and programs are still intact and functioning well again. Of course, I could have done without the extra expense, but I'm not worrying about that right now. All was repaired and I'm back among the living.


Is it 5 o'clock yet?

More later.
*

5 comments:

  1. what a relief ! I would be fit to be tied if my computer went that way.
    I am assured my Mac doesn't get those nasty things, but who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somewhere in the world its 5 o'clock, so it's martini time! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent yesterday cleaning the laptop of a local friend of that same virus. That's the third PC I've cleaned with that virus on it. (My son's and anothe r friend's). For any readers out there: one of the easiest "cures" is to use Malwarebytes (their free version will do the trick).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lem,

    Thanks for the tip. I wonder if that's the program my tech used. He put a few programs on the HD - did his thing - removed them, and all was well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're back up again. Like you, I don't understand why anyone would want to spread viruses, thus causing untold damage and angst. But then, there are two kinds of people. Those that construct and those that destruct. Always has been, always will be.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...