Sunday, January 31, 2010

No One Expected This!

The Day After

Having survived yesterday's storm-of-totally-surprising-snow-depths, I was up this morning prepared to do battle with the trusty brooms and scrapers - there was no way I was going to attempt to shovel because of my hands and back problems. So, I swept my porch and steps, then did the same for the landlady. Suddenly I heard scrapings of a shovel and looked up to see her shoveling the driveway from the road back to the house.


The sky was clear, the sun bright, and the wind was far less than the gale force it had been the evening before.

Needing to get ready for work, I asked if she knew anyone with a snowplow offering to split the cost of a dig out. She didn't. I tried to find someone local when I got to work, without luck.

The primary road was passable, but slow going and slippery.  Top speeds were 20 - 25 mph.

Took 40 minutes to get into town, which was a disaster. Though plowed last night, nothing else was done to the roads - no salt or sand - to make them navigable today.  Parking lots were not plowed, nor were parking places on side streets and only a few on the main avenue.

I found a parking space and walked to work to find the bosses shoveling and salting  the sidewalk in front of the restaurant. A few minutes later as I began the pre-opening chores, I looked out to see them making a snow angel and photographing the results.

Loved it! Dos Locos?  Yep!

The day was surprisingly busy and I was thankful to have enough servers to handle the steady stream of diners suffering from cabin fever and the need to be out and about.  It was great fun.

I was supposed to meet with a few friends after work for a quick bite before they headed off to a choral concert, but a large party of 30+ had reserved the private dining room and I was asked to cover for an extra hour and a half. Two friends stopped by to give me a hug and chat a bit before they went on to meet the others and enjoy the concert.

Since the temps are again dropping into the teens tonight I wanted to get home before dark and not cope with black ice on the way back to the apartment. I made it, but only just.

Like so many others in the area the house lost power for some time today, but the sun kept the apartment warmer than it would have been, so while it wasn't exactly toasty, it was a saving grace to me.  Resetting clocks is better than coming home to a freezing apartment.


And we gets to do it all over again tomorrow, precious. What funs, eh?

* The photos were taken today from inside the restaurant and sum up what a mess the main drag is and the difficult parking situation. You can click them to embiggen.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. Again, I am happy to read that you continue to survive this storm with relatively minor issues. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you couldn't make dinner with us. We missed you! Just isn't the same without your salty spice. We had a cute waiter too. Adorable.

    Glad you made it home without incident.

    Join us for "Avatar" tomorrow. Let me know, I can pick you up.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...