Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Ideas of the Possible, and Flexible

Well, guess what? Yes, it's raining again. I was awakened by the sound of rain beating on the windows thanks to, you guessed it, high winds. (click the image to embiggen.)

This would happen today, of course. With the restaurant closed preparing for the Holiday party this evening (and I lose a day's pay) I made a list of things put off for weeks and am now stuck with a car packed full of things; an antique Barrister's book case - in parts - to deliver to a local shop for resale, 4 boxes of household items for the thrift shop, an old laptop for the recycle center, and a birthday gift from a month ago that has yet to be delivered. Don't ask. There is barely room for me, plus the small backpack at this point.

The forecast is for rain to disappear by midday leaving us with cloudy skies and even higher winds. This should make for a fun time on the roads later on.

The manager of a men's clothing store in the area got wind of my employment situation and asked that I apply to work at their store. It seems there are only women working there and most guys are uncomfortable with that, which is puzzling to me. I always thought that straight men hated shopping, preferring their women to do it, but maybe I'm wrong.

Whenever I'm in men's stores the only men I encounter are gay and the women buying underwear, shirts, socks, ties, and the like for their men - and with a few exceptions - not a straight man in sight. Maybe it's just where I live, who knows. I've never worked in a clothing and accessories environment, so this would add another new twist to my increasingly bizarre life.

Anyway, I returned the completed application before work yesterday morning. There are two other possibilities I've been told to check out and plan to do that today when (if?) the rain stops. One is another privately owned jewelry store. I don't hold much hope for any of them, considering my age, but it's worth giving it a shot.

Meanwhile I am scheduled to attend the four-hour class offered by the state liquor board next week to obtain the much needed Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) card. This card will allow me to mix and serve alcoholic beverages in Delaware. The restaurant owner suggested I take the class so that I can help out at the bar in busy times. As it stands now, if I should step behind the bar I could be arrested. Got to have that card, in Delaware anyway. Yes, this means I will lose another day's pay, but it's got to be done. It's investing in the possibilities of the future.

Yesterday, the owner also hinted that there may be more hours for me at their other restaurant, if I can be flexible. Flexible? You bet I can!

Stay tuned.

More later.
*

4 comments:

  1. Hi there! First of all, I think you know I've been married 6 times, and I thought I'd tell you that EVERY ONE OF MY HUSBANDS wanted to pick out his own clothes himself, so do expect there will be straight men there.

    Yes, they always had me go along to 'approve', but not one of them ever wanted me to buy something for them without letting them tag along.

    Also, my first boss told me the key to my success in my career, was just one word - FLEXIBILITY - and I never forgot it. While punctuality; doing a good day's work and not making mistakes also was part of what I adhered to, I remembered to be flexible - to move to other departments to help out, and when I went into sales and marketing, being FLEXIBLE with the customer is definitely a plus!

    I wish you good luck with your new job; I know how busy you keep, and I admire your optimism.

    Happy holidays. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Diane. That was very sweet of you to share with me.
    No, I didn't know about the 6 marriages. And thanks for the tip about men doing their own clothes shopping. I'll remember that, too.

    Thanks again for the visit, words of wisdom and now I wish you Happy Holidays and Blessings for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your recent post; PAR-TAY - HAR-DAY, good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news about your job possibilities! I am so happy for you. First, you would be perfect working in a clothing store. I used to shop at Strawbridge's in Philly and the only salespeople I ever felt comfortable with were men. Occasionally a woman would wait on me but who wants that when buying a suit? I certainly didn't.

    I know your personality and it would be a perfect match. And please don't fret about taking a day off to get your bartender's license. Go for it. God knows you would be better than most of the bartenders I've dealt with over the years. Again, you have the personality for that kind of work.

    You know the old saying "When one door closes, another opens?" Well my friend you're experiencing it.

    It has been fascinating watching you reinvent yourself these past three years. You really meant it when you subscribed to Gloria Gaynor and "I Will Survive" didn't you?

    Sure, there will always be a few speed bumps along the road but you are definitely going in the right direction. Why I wouldn't be surprised if you picked up a Twinkie along the way.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...