Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Jazz Fest Weekend &The Aftermath

Rehoboth Jazz Fest 2011 was another big hit. Soloists and bands played all over town, overflowing to venues out on the Coastal Highway.  Our little corner of the festival was a huge success. The weather couldn't have been more cooperative.  Clear sky, light breeze off the ocean and about 70' F and the town was packed to the eyeballs with music lovers of every stripe.

The one night and 2 days the trio played drew big crowds of jazz fans from all over the east coast.

The Tim Laushey Trio (drummer) played for 5 hours Saturday afternoon and it was the best day the restaurant had ever seen. Yes, maybe we were all totally spent when it was over, the vibes, music, food, and drink made everyone feel  a part of the proceedings. The customers were real  jazz fans and one could tell by their choice of seating (no booths, full view of the band), attire, and facial expressions at hearing good musicians. It was fun to watch. Made me miss NYC and the tiny hot spots in the village, but only a little.


My station is front and center, best place in the house.  I rocked, swayed, sang and hummed (under my breath, of course) for all the hours they played. And they played everything from the 30s on - Armstrong, Waller, Porter, Rodgers & Hart, Brubeck, Getz, Jobim, and more.  You get the idea.

The trio returned Sunday to play from 12 to 3 pm for an all lunch crowd. Again, we were put through our paces, and when it was all over the band sat around and we talked about music, surprising new performers (keyboardist let me listen to one on his iPad) shared drinks and a few laughs.  Tim and his wife are regulars, since they have a place nearby; the other 2 musicians (keyboard and bass players) have come to know us and are pretty laid back.  They felt right at home, and that's the way I like it.

A photographer arrived as the guys were packing up and wanted a few pictures. Instruments packed already he had to settle for a standing group shot.  It looked a little awkward, just the 3 of them, so he asked the locosguys and me to round out the picture. I was very honored.  If and when it is published, and I get a copy, you can bet I'll post it here.

Monday was a real come-down for me.  No live music, only that damned Sirius XM crap.  (Don't get me started on the crop of what passes as new "talent" recording these days.) Still exhausted from the weekend, I was in bed and asleep by 7:30 last evening.  Didn't stir until 6:30 this morning.  Much rest was required and thankfully, received.

Here it is Tuesday, beginning of my well-planned weekend.  The forecast called for rain and thunderstorms all day, so my list included polishing shoes, ironing shirts, pressing slacks, and cooking up a batch of Chili.  However, the sun is high in a blue sky and I'm heading outdoors to enjoy the Autumn air while I can.  The other stuff can wait until it does rain, or tomorrow, whichever comes first.


More later.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...