Monday, November 14, 2011

A New Range Below the Radar.

The illusive new range that was not delivered on Wednesday, was not delivered on Thursday of last week. No calls from the LL, nor the company from which the new appliance was purchased and was to deliver and install.

Friday evening as I prepped supper and was reading email and  news, there came a banging on the door. It was almost 6 pm, dark, and I didn't expect a delivery after regular working hours.  But there he was, gruff, over-sized, and outright irritated by having to be out working that late. Fortunately, I had not gotten to the heating the oven stage, so he was quite pleased.  I was not.

"I have an electric range to deliver here, but I have to remove the old one first?  Is that right?" I nodded. He grumbled and mumbled something under his breath, and after seeing the old range, turned on his heels and headed down to street level.  Returning with a hand-cart he yanked the old range from its space and with the assistance of his "helper" slammed it on the cart, strapped it down, and proceeded down the stairs into the night. I thought it best to return all food stuff to the refrigerator for the duration and very glad I did.

There were a few more bumps in the dark as a range on a hand-cart materialized, was wheeled into the kitchen, plugged it into the outlet, then simply pushed up against the wall.  I pointed out that it was not level and wobbled.  Instead of using shims and spacers, he shoved a nickel under one foot which steadied it (didn't level it), and said, "there, not only a new stove, but I gave you a nickel for balance. Hahahahahaha." At that point I was so enraged that I just opened the front door and let them return to the dark - where they deserve to remain for all eternity.

Unable to pull the range out to clean and vacuum the area, I was only able to slide it slightly, remove that damned nickel, spot-vacuum where possible, shim and level the thing as best I could. Due to the back and arthritis situations, I am unable to do more of what needs to be done.

I have a new range - as cheap as cheap can be.  It is what it is.

A letter will be sent to the LL about this and I will attempt to learn the limitations of the new, cheap, (did I mention that before?) stove.

Note: The oven temperature light doesn't switch off as the internal temperature is reached and maintained.  No, the temperatures vary wildly from one extreme to another. This makes it difficult to roast or even bake anything without hovering close by and monitoring the oven temps.  Frustrating.

Comparatively, the rest of the weekend was a happy time. More on that later. I am still pissed.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. anne marie in phillyNovember 15, 2011 at 3:42 AM

    jeeze. your LL sounds like a jerk and I would contact the better business bureau about the "delivery guys".

    time to move, honey?

    PS - word is "abind", as in "the LL has you in abind over the stove".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you need a replacement, especially when the temps do not work properly. A mail to the BBB about those grumpy delivery guys sounds good to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it gives you some comfort, this expensive house that I had built some five years ago has the cheapest everything (from bathroom sinks to ranges) in it. Neither builders nor landlords will spend $$ on upgrades. They always go cheap. With the rent you're paying, you deserve a better stove. I would let the landlord know that you're not satisfied.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...