Thursday, July 11, 2013

Rare Summer Serenity

Very rare, indeed. I need some, please!!!

Thanks to thunderstorms and heavy downpours confirming that this would not be a beach day, I knew we'd be very busy.

Note: In bad weather (read: no beach day) most tourists jump into their cars and head to, 1) The Outlet Centers to shop, 2) The multiplex here in Rehoboth Beach (there are fewer screens in other towns, if any) and 3) restaurants to eat and drink the rainy weather way.

Today was one of those miserable days for the visitors: the Outlet parking lots were full, the movie theaters were sold out, and I had a 40 minute wait for a table for lunch at 12:45 (one hour and 15 minutes after opening) and chaos was the order of the day.  Screaming tots were the least of it.

Even with a full compliment of servers, there was no way to keep up.  I went to another waiting list at about 2:30 just to let the kitchen and waitstaff catch up and get their stations cleaned, setup, and ready for the next party.  Proud to say it worked out well.

A Note from the Stoopid:
Me: we are currently experiencing a 40 minute wait for a table for a party your size.
Stoopid: Well, we didn't have to wait last year.
Me staring into vacant eyes with no brain behind them. I just kept going. Do you want to give me your name so I can call you when the table is ready?
"Crickets."

The locosguys were helping out at the bar and kitchen to help maintain a rhythm to seating, ordering, serving, and repeating the scenario over and over again.  By 4 PM, the evening staff was easing into their stations and those holding evening reservations began to arrive. Again, another smooth transition.  Note that this doesn't always happen, there is chaos at times that can send the whole operation into a tailspin.  Not today.

After leaving the front station in the hands of the locosguy, I washed my hands and face, grabbed the umbrella and was about to head home when  I was waved down by the other locosguy (he runs the bar) signaling that there was a cocktail made and waiting for me. Well, you know I cannot pass up a Bombay Sapphire Martini - even in the rain, or even in a hurricane. As he handed the drink to me he smiled and said very quietly, "here's to a job well done." I savored the elixir of the Queen while standing at the back of the bar.  That was OK, I enjoyed every minute of this hectic day.  The key was that we were all in a happy and helpful place and the customers responded in like manner. I am sure the servers did very well, financially this day.

The rain let up as I finished the cocktail, and I made it home before the next storm-front passed through.. It is peaceful and quiet in the hood.

I've prepped a devilish dish for supper tonight.  Since I had taken nothing from the freezer this morning,  I opted to throw together things just waiting to be enjoyed. I put together a spicy black bean dish  with onions, celery, tomatoes, salted pork and herbs.  It's cooking down now, even as I write this and will be served on a bed of parsley rice.  A salad and garlic toast will round out the experience.  OK, everything is fresh with the exception of the black beans. They are canned.  I'm working long hours and 6 or 7 days weekly and I don't have the time to use dried black beans, so shoot me!  Oh, you purists...

Don't know if tomorrow's weather will be like today, and I don't trust weather forecasters to know what's going to happen. I'll know when I get up tomorrow morning and work accordingly to make the day a good one at work, and personally.

My supper awaits...as does another martini.  Cheers!

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. You are so funny. You missed your calling by not being the center square in Hollywood Squares. I can just imagine Paul Lynde doing your job at the Two Crazy Guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTF does mr. stoopid not understand? and who gives a shit about last year? this is NOW! idiot!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...