Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Shopping, Planning, and a Deluge.

Though the heat has let up a bit, (around 90' today) the humidity remains high.  Still, I had a list of errands to run and a bit of shopping to do for the upcoming holiday so I bravely drove out of town onto Coastal Highway to do battle with the visitors from surrounding states whose driving skills leave much to be desired.  There have been many accidents, some fatal, this season. Bicyclists, pedestrians, cars and even buses.  It needs to be said that the majority of these could have been prevented had cell phones not been in use at the time of the crashes.

It's been way too hot for even the most die-hard sunbathers, so of course, in the early morning everyone heads to the outlets until the multiplex theaters open.

I've been looking for spice grinders for a while and was pleased to find one at Kitchen & Company - where I haven't visited in over a year. A stop at the Hallmark store was followed by a visit to the liquor store to replenish vermouth, wines, and purchase a small bottle of Tequila.

I've been thinking about wardrobe for the trip, now please understand working long days and hours with no outside social activities I've not worn shorts in a long time except at home when I'm cleaning or doing other chores. The holiday being in mid-September means it will be quite hot and humid in NOLA.  I un-packed some old shorts and tried them on.  They are old, well, practically new really, not being worn in 7 + years, not fashionable, and too large for me, anyway. (They will go to the Thrift Store later.

So, the next item on today's gay agenda was in search of a few fine new threads, er, Cargo shorts, maybe one or two pair.  The pickings were slim since stores are already gearing up for back-to-school here. How annoying is that?  I was somewhat successful finding a gun metal gray pair and a plaid pair.  I looked for a "convertible" pair of pants that feature zippered legs that, when removed turned into cargo shorts.  Not to be found here.  There are no outdoors or camping stores in the area.

Returned home, put away my treasures, and tried finding the pants online. Initially the search was discouraging as all items were between $90 and $200. These might be worth the price and great for the camper or hiker, just way too much money for my needs in my book.  I mean, just to wear the brand name? I don't think so. I checked websites of the best known outdoor outfitters - Cabela, L.L. Bean, Patagonia, and the like.  They were all in the same price range.  Then I found Columbia Sportswear & Outfitters and their prices were more to my taste and budget. I ordered a pair.  (Image is above.)

I am not familiar with the technology that goes into these products, but it sounds impressive.  Here's the posted information from the site:
A quick zip at the legs, and you've got a 10" inseam short. Quick-dry nylon ripstop is super lightweight and incredibly durable. Omni-Wick® advanced repellency offers superior moisture management and UV-busting UPF 50 sun protection is built right into the fabric, so you’re covered when the afternoon sun fires up. 
I don't know what any of that means and really don't care. As long as they wear well and live up to their reviews.  Shipping is free and takes 3 to 5 days.  Since my travels are over a month away, I think they'll arrive in plenty of time.

I tend to travel light, so I'll add 2 pair of casual slacks, a couple of tee-shirts, and a few collared shirts for evenings spent with friends or the sister at a fave restaurant. Semi-formal attire is out of the question. Sport-coats and Blazer are too large and will likely meet the same fate as the old shorts.

If the rain holds out, a visit to the Farmers Market this afternoon is the last item on the gay agenda.

Weather didn't cooperate. Rain came down with such great noise and fury that my street looked like a river so, I stayed in and hoped we wouldn't lose electric power.  Fortunately, we haven't so far.  Yes, it's the little things.

It's cocktail time and I smell olives.  Have a happy.

And so it goes.
*

BTW, today is my birthday, but please don't tell anyone.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! You don't look older...

    ReplyDelete
  2. your gay agenda is sure to corrupt a traditional family! tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Cajun! Columbia Sportswear is opening a store at the outlets this fall. I really enjoy your blog.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, We won't tell!

    Sean R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell what? You don't look a day older than yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyeux anniversaire!
    ♬♪•*¨*•.¸¸♫¸.•*¨*••*♫

    (◠‿◠✿)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...