Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Life Update

Did I mention that my apartment sprung a leak?  Discovered last Saturday when it was least expected. Well, the sealant around the pipe that drains from the roof to the ground flows through my walk-in closet gave way (probably from the high winds caused by Irene) and I came home to a bit of a flood.  Ruining 3 pair of work slacks that cannot be salvaged.

Reported the problem to the landlord on Monday.  He promised to address it ASAP. It's been raining (heavily at times) every day since the leak made its appearance.  No one has come to fix the problem. To be fair, it would be impossible to do so in the rain.  So I empty the little bucket twice daily and wait.

Thankfully, the restaurant has been busy even if, as the servers say, tipping is down by half - at least we still have jobs - and diners are going for the off-season daily specials to save their pennies. Hell, we're all doing that.

No reply from Social Security regarding my letter inquiring about tips & ideas for living on $1,180. a month.  It's been 2 weeks, so far.  Could they still be calculating???

The cleaners gave no hope for the slacks, so in a last ditch effort  I tried washing them myself.  No good.  There must be some solvent or bleaching agent in the pipe sealant, so the stains are permanent.  (Sigh!) Toss into the trash time.

It's officially Autumn, and I went to work this morning IN THE DARK!  We hates it, precious, yes we does. Dark, drizzly and depressing.  Though the sun made a valiant attempt to shine, it was out numbered by the black and gray clouds that made this Sunday one designed for staying indoors, under a comforter, with a book and cup of tea. 

Was invited to a fundraising event this evening, but since I was not the recipient - and the donation was $100. - I decided to pass.

More rain is on the way. I am happy to be home sipping a cocktail as I prepare a light supper.


And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. Fred and I were going to come down this weekend, without the kids, but decided not because of the rain. Oh well! Maybe in October? Who knows!
    m.
    p.s. Stay dry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad about the leak and the resulting stain on your trousers thus rendering them unacceptable for public view at your workplace. What? You can't live on SS payments of $1,180 a month? Wait until Rick "Chimp in a Suit" Perry is elected president. When he turns Social Security over to the states we'll be rolling in the money honey.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...