Sunday, September 8, 2013

Photos From Hell and Back.

Wanted to post these so I could delete them forever from the hard drive and camera.  I have enough to remind me of last weekend's four-day excursion through and ultimately out of oblivion.


I arrived Friday morning in very bad shape. Two days of intense testing, medications, transfusions and great care helped me make it through. Sunday was the first chance to get the camera in hand. It was the worst day on the healing side of the 4-day process. The surprise high fever (of 102.4) was a setback, but ultimately a good thing, even if it meant staying another night.


The first time I was up and able to move about on my own without holding on to something. Yes, that is the "magic fingers" bed mentioned in earlier posts.


The beautiful flower basket had the nursing staff oohing.  The were from the guys at Dos Locos, of course.  Yes, those are carnations, one of my faves, and they actually had their own real scent. Everyone stuck their noses in for a good whiff, too.


Just a few vials of someone else's blood coursing through my veins. These samples were taken after the 5 transfusions and I was still not feeling well. 



Monday was a better, if confusing day. I was stronger and felt better, the BP had almost stabilized, and there were rumors that I would be going home by afternoon.  Note the "possible discharge" and the drug script at the bottom.  Yes, they were still on the lookout for occult blood at this late stage.  Talk about ultra-careful!


Yes, this was the view from my window.  That's Delaware Bay behind the city of Lewes, and the Atlantic beyond.  Unfortunately, the bed was on the other side of the room, so I didn't get to enjoy this view until I was up and moving on my own - on my last day.  


I have to say that this last visit gave me a whole new opinion about this hospital.  My previous stay seven years ago was anything but pleasant, comfortable, or handled professionally. The nurses and technicians have always been top-notch, but the support personnel and many of the physicians were very uncooperative and stubborn.  Today, I would have no qualms about recommending the Beebe Medical Center to anyone.

Well, that's over.  Now I wait for the results of the bone marrow biopsy, but after my return from New Orleans.

More later.
*

5 comments:

  1. nice flowers from your bosses!

    NOLA is fast approaching; continue on the recovery road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. goodness!
    As usual, I go away from blogland for a few days and all heck happens.
    Get well soon !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a better view than I did! The "penthouse view" which I will accede to you because of the requirements. So glad you're back among the living. As you said, the reports of your death were VERY premature. Indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, I didn't get flowers. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ron: Flowers? Oh, you don't work for the right people. My boss would never think I was faking illness. They know me too well.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...