Saturday, August 18, 2007

Summer Storms

Friday morning at about 3 am, I had a wake up call from Mother Nature herself. She didn't arrive at that hour to tuck me in, but to throw me out of bed. Thunderstorms hit the area with great force; enough to shake one out of bed, rattle windows and force one to sit up and take notice.

The lightening was intense and almost strobe-like at times and the rain was swept by the wind in waves. I couldn’t sleep and as the house shook decided to put on clothes and prepare for the possibility of having to evacuate the area.

Remember, I live on the marshes – wetlands – that can flood and retreat in the natural cycle, but this was no natural cycle. These were potentially destructive storms. They had moved through Virginia earlier in the night flooding areas and knocking out power as they moved through.

I was afraid but I noted the beauty and majesty of the lightening and thunder and that we have little power to fend them off. I watched the spectacle through my large window as if it was a film shot in Cinerama with a broad picture and sound coming from seemingly everywhere. I stood there mesmerized. It was all over by the time I left for work.

Yesterday I learned that there were more than 20, 000 lightening strikes locally associated with the storms. Power was out for many residents, and the roadways were partially closed to morning travelers due to downed power lines. Amazing.

More later.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...