Saturday, November 29, 2008

Holiday Shoppers and a Perfect Manhattan

I have been relaxing with a perfect Manhattan following a very hot shower and dinner is on the way, so I thought I’d update what’s been going on around here since Wednesday.

Off from work Tuesday and Wednesday and, of course Thanksgiving Day, I chose to rest up and give the back a chance to heal a bit; at least a bit. Listening to music and reading was a luxury that I wouldn’t have traded for anything.

Showered and shaved Thursday night so I could be up, have a quick breakfast, coffee, and be ready to open the store at 7 am.

We know none of our customers would be dimwitted enough to be out shopping at that ungodly hour, but the Mall Nazis have their rules and they apply to ALL businesses, so we complied. Not one person set foot in the store until after 10 am. Then we were, as we say – SLAMMED! And they just kept coming – singles, couples, small groups, and hordes. It was exhausting. I need roller skates for next year.

Help arrived a little after noon when there was a lull as shoppers took a breather and had lunch. After that short break, we were busy all afternoon, as our third person arrived to pitch in. Between the snappy patter with our regular customers and new comers, it was a delightful (though exhausting) afternoon. I am sure we made some of the newcomers feel comfortable and that they will become regulars in the future, as well.

Having been at the store and on my feet for 12 hours I decided that the back had had enough, so I made my way home to have a shower, cocktail, and something to eat. The third item almost didn’t happen. The back pain was excruciating and all I wanted to do was lie down and die.

I was in bed and asleep by 8 pm.

Up before dawn today and having a coffee as I pulled myself into business drag for another day of salivating crazed shoppers. Opened the store two hours early (before most of the mall was open) and had a few good early sales.

As the saying goes – ‘blather, rinse, and repeat’ – today was almost identical to yesterday’s experience. Buyers were jovial; having a good time and not at all hostile.

Worked to the bitter end with a buzzing in my ears and searing pain in the back.

At the apartment (that shower and Manhattan worked wonders) and about to enjoy BBQ ribs, asparagus, and my own Cajun potato salad.

Thanks to the Goddess we open tomorrow at 11 am.

And so it goes.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...