Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voted! Voted! Voted!

The deed, it is done. This has been the most exciting election cycle in my lifetime.

It took over an hour and as we were queued two abreast potential voters were spilling out of the polling place into the parking lot in the torrential rain. There were brightly coloured golf umbrellas and more than a few beach umbrellas sheltering us from at least some of the rain though the wind whipped the water up to the waist.

I arrived at 7:15 am and spent thirty minutes in the rain; forty five indoors as we split into two queues by the initial of last names (A to L, M to Z); unfortunately, the A to L line was twice that of M to Z; another 10 minutes getting checked in, then a few minutes waiting for a vacant booth and casting my vote. It was amazing to see a full compliment of poll workers and four voting booths (they were short handed and had only two booths for the primary), so the flow of voters went smoothly, if slowly.

Usually rain has a negative effect on voter turnout, but not this time. Seems everyone wants to be a part of this election. In my heart there is a bit of relief that this 8-year nightmare is about to end. There is a fear in my bones that this election, like the previous two, could well be stolen. It’s easy to be cynical with those images burned into memory. No, I won’t be giving in to those thoughts on this day.

It is also easy to imagine a dignified, articulate, compassionate president replacing a swaggering, smirking, moronic dry-drunk. I believe that the majority of Americans are willing to come together to rebuild what has been destroyed over the last 8 years.

I have to admit to one great fear; once in the privacy of the voting booth, white people will be unable to bring themselves to vote for a black man, and I don’t think this nation could survive a McCranky/Bible Spice administration.

So unless these two things happen – or Chimpy & Cheney decide to take the country into yet another war – I can’t wait for January 20th.

A bit of the ugly: the phrase ‘Body Odor’ was repeated by various people while in line followed by a strange string of words that made no sense in context. However, as we neared the check in table, the elderly gentleman in front of me leaning on a cane turned and said “you know what they’re saying, don’t you?” I shook my head. “Body Odor, or B O, referring to Barack Obama.” He disapproved, but didn’t want to cause a scene. I sense his vote went to BO.

And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. Excellent commentary. I'm glad I decided to go later when the rain stopped. Of course I stood outside in the A to L line until I got up to the front door when I realized that I was in the WRONG LINE! That said, I agree with you that the voting went smoothly. However, I did get the feeling that it was a mostly Repug gathering of voters. One woman I was talking to said she was "afraid of what would happen if Obama was elected president." OMIGOD. She did look intelligent but obviously she brought in the the Repug talking points. Sad.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...