Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Say NO to Drugs?: An Update

Was she kidding? I mean, Nancy, really.

If not for the painkillers and muscle relaxants I would have killed myself a week ago. While the drugs relieve some pain, they cannot eliminate it completely.

Made an appointment with my PCP for last Thursday but not without a few hassles with the snotty reception staff (I don’t know what their medical title is) reading my beads for not calling sooner. Who are these people…my parents?

My last office visit was over a year ago and she wasn’t going to go easy on me essentially saying that she didn’t think I was worth the doctor’s time. I told her to look through the file and she might understand the reasons for the absence. She ignored that completely until I demanded that she do so.

Who are these people demanding a reason to see the doctor; WHY do they always sound like they’re doing a favour; WHY are they so disengaged; WHY do they ask about my symptoms. My answer is always the same – it’s none of your business. Why do you need to know? That usually shuts them up, though some have hung up on me.

All I ask is personal access to my PCP and/or his nurse or nurse practitioner. Not file clerks who answer the phones; demand payment before even seeing the doctor.

Fast forward.

The appointment went well; the dr. was on holiday so I met with the nurse practitioner that knew my history, updated my file, and answered all my questions. Blood pressure was still elevated, but better than in the ER. She was surprised to learn that I am no longer insured.

I needed prescriptions for ongoing meds as part of the daily regimen. The NP gave me refills, and refills for the painkillers and muscle relaxants prescribed by the ER physician.

While I am no longer whimpering in constant pain, when it hits it is manageable with the Ibuprofen and in severe situations a muscle relaxant helps me sleep.

I pray for the morning that I wake with no pain.

I smell olives.

And so it goes.

*

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes for relief and health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. most receptionsists have no medical training let alone college training - too bad as they are the in between people at a clinic; the first person a phoner encounters.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...