Sunday, February 22, 2009

Movies, Hollywood and Hoopla

When it comes to screening new, good movies I live in a black hole. Driving back to the apartment after work yesterday I was stopped at the light next to the multiplex and, I swear, I recognized only three of the films on the marquees. One was ‘Slumdog’ (which was a surprise itself) and the other two are already on PPV – yes, it takes the theater owners a while to catch on. The other eight are unknown to me and I can’t even remember their titles.


It took the local Film Society to get the owners to bring films like ‘Capote’ ‘An Inconvenient Truth’ and ‘Good Night and Good Luck’ to town because the theater owners were certain that these films wouldn’t draw audiences – but they did. However, these experiences didn’t change their ways and they continue to bring in films that have not been reviewed in the local papers. Oh, well. I stopped going to the movies when cell phone use wasn’t policed and stopped. I’ll not cough up ten bucks to hear some jackass screaming into their phone in the middle of a film. But, that’s just me.


That’s a long way of getting to the hoopla over the bloated Oscars tonight. Yes, even though Hugh Jackman is hosting (and I heart me some Jackman) I guess I'm just not into him that much.


I was invited to an Oscar party this evening, but I have to be at work by 7 am tomorrow followed by a 3 pm doctor appointment, I was able to decline. I haven’t watched the entire overblown broadcast since I lived in NYC. The broadcast was, at least to our minds, more elegant and sophisticated. Glamour was still in and the only shock came from a streaker or some technical goof up. No more. Nowadays, the fashion statement has become more of a fashion question, as in “WHY?” Some clueless starlet in a Swan Dress comes to mind. If you get my drift.


It’s rainy and cold today and there is no where I have to be, so I’ll pop some corn and watch a fave DVD, then I’ll get under the covers at my usual time and wake up to the pundits analyzing every second or the show. That will be quite enough, thank you very much.


More later.

*

1 comment:

  1. we are watching the Awards while I surf the blogs
    What a fabulous night.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...