Friday, February 13, 2009

Oh! It's Friday the 13th! That Explains it...

Well the beautiful, warm weather of yesterday and Wednesday turned into a bummer last night. The relentless winds did indeed gust up to 65 mph shaking the place, rattling glassware, and wreaking havoc with the trees and small animals.

I went to bed thinking it would be over by morning. Well, wasn’t I surprised when I awoke before dawn with a very cold nose and head? Yes, indeed. There were no night-lights, no light from the clock radio; no light anywhere. The only light came from the moon. I looked out to find all other homes were in total darkness and the entire area bathed in moonlight. It was beautiful - and cold.

I grabbed another blanket and got back under the covers covering as much of my head and face as possible without smothering to death and was asleep in no time.

When I finally woke up after sunrise the power had not been restored. I called the electric company and (of course) got a recorded message telling me what I already knew, but offered no timeline for restoring power.

I set up a makeshift burner using a votive candle and made a hot cup of green tea, still bundled up and covered with a comforter. I thanked God that this didn’t happen when the temps were in the 20s. That said, 38’ is none too comfy to wake up to. The tea did the trick and the power was back on an hour later. I reset all the clocks.

After a shave and shower I made a to-do list and set out to make short shrift of it. The winds were still blowing between 15 and 25 mph, but the sun was bright and warming so before returning to the apartment I took another walk on the beach at north shores up to the cape.

The photo was taken today. The towers are WWII lookout towers used scan the ocean for German submarines. There are few of these left today. The cape is that land mass behind the towers, jutting out into the Atlantic. Click the image to make biggen.

When I got back to the apartment I noticed that all the clocks were blinking so I guess the power went off again. At least it was back on, though the place was cold. I have reset all the clocks – again.

Let’s hope that’s the last time I have to do that today.

I had planned to bake bread today, but with the unreliable power situation I think I'll wait until tomorrow.

And so it goes.

*

4 comments:

  1. Nice post Wayne. It was/is windy up here in PA too. We were lucky, no power outages. Ironic, since when I lived here the power almost always went out when the winds whipped up over 20 mph.

    I'm here two more nights. Lunch with Judy and Ben tomorrow at my fav restaurant, The Brickside Grill. Today Mom, Isaac and I had lunch at Wegmans - which is always excellent. I really miss all that is available here in PA that is now available in Slower Lower. Even the secondary supermarkets far exceed anything Rehoboth has to offer. You don't have to travel to Dover or Wilmington to shop at a decent store. We actually have TWO Staples within 2 miles of each other that are at least twice as big as the Rehoboth Staples with friendly, competent help.

    Yesterday I had lunch with my friend Bill B. I asked him if he and his wife were ever going to move. He said "Why? Everything we need is here." Of course he can afford the taxes. I couldn't. Thus my move to DE.

    So now you're thinking, "Why is Ron leaving this LONG comment." Why not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear you lost power. Many around us did, but that was one thing we did not do this time.

    We had a callback from the roofer last this afternoon. He is to come tomorrow and patch our roof before the rain/snow hits.

    Do they still sell sterno and sterno stoves? Long ago we used to keep one or two on hand for emergency cooking. We made a little "stove" from a coffee can and some smaller tin cans. As I write that I also recall how we made a substitue fuel source using a small can (like Vienna Sausage can). We placed a coil of corregated cardboard in it (only up as far a just below the top of the can and then poured melted wax from old candle ends into it. After the wax hardens you can use it like an ersatz sterno.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lucky man - to be baking bread.
    I love freshly made bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ur-spo,

    You have a breadmaker, right? I make very different kinds of breads, not simple whole wheat or whole grain. I've experimented with cheeses, herbs, sun-dried tomatoes, etc. The bread today is a Jack cheese with green olives and garlic.
    These breads are great toasted, or heated and enjoyed with dinner or a salad.
    If you get the urge and need some recipes, just give a holler.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...