Saturday, April 11, 2009

New Job - Old Body

I worked seven days this week. On Tuesday I began training for (at) my new part time job and I'm only now getting beyond the leg and back pain from being on my feet all day. Thank G*d for support shoes; they may not look great, but they sure do the job.

Since fracturing my lower back last November, I haven't had any problem taking long walks; it's the standing in one spot that is the killer. It feels as if gravity is pulling me towards the floor. The first two nights I awoke in the middle of the night with leg cramps and lower back pain.

Thursday I was at the other job which offers the ability to sit most of the day until a customer walks in. That break with the addition of Quinine tablets and tonic water helped the cramping a great deal.

I trained a bit longer shift Friday but experienced little pain, probably due to the quinine coupled with more walking and less standing around in my appointed spot. I slept like a baby last night and didn't wake until 7 am - unheard of for me.

This is my first day off and I am relishing the quiet, resting, and doing a bit of bulk cooking because next week will be another 6 day work week. I train again tomorrow (the first time I've worked on Easter in 20 years) then work three days at the other job and training for another three. I pray those days aren't back-to-back, but...

Of nearly 20 applications over the past three months, this is the only business to call back. Possibly, this was a good thing. I like the people I will be working with, who are taking time to train me well, and seem supportive. The bosses are tough task masters, but in a good way. After all, their reputation is at stake, so I'm learning the right way - not the quick way - to get the job right. I think I can handle that.
So far, so good.

The image above is a reference to the 'old' part of this story. This is the Atlantic Sands Motel circa. 1965 when I used to visit Rehoboth Beach. The Sands is still here, though vastly larger and a very popular place for tourists to stay today Click the image to embiggen.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. Even thou Easter is a working day, I hope all is well with you.
    Applause to your new employers, even in hard times they still want to learn an 'old dog' new tricks. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in your new job at the hotel. For what it's worth, the Sands didn't even have the courtesy to reply to my application a year and a half ago. Sometimes things work out for the best though. I would hate to drive there everyday and look for parking in the season.

    Hotel work does require a lot of standing. I'm having more problems with my back now even though I can sit on a stool during some of my eight hour shift. Leg cramps in the middle of the night? Always. Sometimes I have to get up and walk around for 15 minutes or so to get them to go away.

    I know you'll do well on your new job. You're perfect for it. You know customer service and you are a quick study. I predict you will have a long career at your new place of employment. You also should be able to get benefits even though you're part time.

    Another big benefit of working at a hotel......you're never bored. Always something going on. It really is a fun job. Frustrating? Sure. But overall it is fun. I can say without equivocation it is the most fun I've ever had on a job. Even better if someone is on the shift with you.

    You're a star now my friend! I am VERY HAPPY for you! Remember the only hard part about a hotel job is keeping a happy face ALL THE TIME. Learning the computer is nothing. Toilet backed up? Call maintenance or switch the guest to a different room.

    I'll give you some more tips when I see you tonight for dinner at the Feathered One.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes on this day. As one who suffers back, hip, and knee pain, I might as if you have the ability to bring in a square of carpet or perhaps one of those large "foam" squares of flooring (used in exercise rooms) that you could stand on. Perhaps a surface with a bit of give might help. I also recommend moving around a bit, some toe raises, and *slight* knee bends.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...