Thursday, November 12, 2009

Another Dark and Stormy Night

I wish Snoopy was here to keep me warm and dance with me.

This is night #3 and there is no let up in either wind or rain. Many back roads (including the road to my apartment) are under water in places and the beaches are in serious trouble. The high tide this evening has brought the marshes up onto the back lawn. The winds have been gusting at higher speeds than the previous days and there are tree limbs everywhere.

I've lost power twice so far, which isn't fun when everything here needs juice to function. The power went out sometime overnight and I woke up cold and achy thanks to the arthritis, unable to enjoy a hot shower and shave. Left for work early so I could at least keep warm. Unless, of course, the power went out in the entire area.

I've just arrived from work at job #1 where I had to keep the door locked all day because the wind kept blowing it open causing the alarm to go off every few minutes. Besides, no one in their right mind was out shopping today. My work drag is drip drying in the bathtub and I am more than ready for a festive cocktail.

Tonight, I've got plenty of candles and am heating up some turkey chili from the freezer - just in case - ah, comfort food. I just heard the weather report and the winds are gusting up to 50 mph, that's near hurricane force. I knew they were stronger than yesterday, but had no idea they were that strong. With such rain and winds there is no satellite signal, so I can't watch the Weather Channel for updates.

The remains of Ida are suppose to linger until sometime on Saturday. The day at job #2 tomorrow should prove interesting. The restaurant is 2 blocks from the Atlantic.

I guess I'll just hunker down with a blanket, cocktail, and a movie and pray the power doesn't go off again.

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. Fun times! I'm at work now (no one in the hotel) with the wind howling and the rain pelting the window next to me as I type this missive. Thank goodness high tide has passed. Hopefully I won't have to hydroplane going home tonight on New Road at 11 PM plus.


    They is some serious winds out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness! We are not that far from you and we are having none of it. By all means, stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...