Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Shopping, Shaving, and Sharing.

Having skipped the after-shift cocktail yesterday I was glad I decided to shop AFTER work. Yes, the store was busy, not chaotic and no one was in a tizzy. Of course, once there I found more than a few fave veggies on sale so I snapped them up. I love Fall vegetables and they were inexpensive by today's standards. I can cook up some, puree and make soup of others, blanch and freeze the rest. Other than this luxury I stuck to the list - mostly everyday items that are on sale in this week's flyer.

Ran into a few folks I know and after a brief chat we shared holiday wishes and disappeared down different aisles. Everything was checked off the list and I was back at the apartment within 45 minutes. That must be some kind of record for two days before Thanksgiving.

As I stored the goodies I heard the weather report that Wednesday would be a repeat of Tuesday - rain and gusty winds - which seems to be the norm this Fall. Standing water remains in lower areas and farm fields from Nor-Ida of two weeks ago, so we really didn't need anymore. The ground is the consistency of a saturated sponge. Unfortunately, the forecast was correct.

In other news - Having closely buzz-cut my head for years with electric clippers (like I should pay someone to do this?) I decided to go all the way. Picking the brains of like-minded co-workers at the restaurant, I was given the latest information on the bestest, newest razors, shaving gels/soaps, creams, etc., and since the suggested razor was on sale yesterday I picked one up; this morning before going to work I tried out the new super razor and was amazed. The head and beard were shaved and shiny in less time it usually takes to shave - two minutes, tops. It feels and looks terrific (well, at least I think it does) but it will take a while to get used to a 5 o'clock shadow appearing on my head. The guys at work today were thrilled and supportive, making a few more suggestions for the care and feeding of my scalp. It was quite funny listening to all this "insider" information on products I'd never heard of and didn't know exist. (click the image to embiggen.) We learn something new everyday.

Lunch business was brisk today, with folks driving into the area for the holiday and stopping by to dine with us. It's always a treat to see folks that we usually see only in summer. The feeling was mutual. I am constantly amazed by the tone the place sets for visitors; everyone is relaxed and jovial with an air of silliness permeating the scene. I love to laugh and today I was close to heaven.

The jokes, cooking stories, family situations, new rules in place that ought to have been years ago, were reminiscent of every family I've ever known. There was laughter til the tears began to flow. Great fun.

Back at the apartment the rain falls and the chill isn't doing my back any good, so it's time for a festive cocktail followed by supper - then maybe a movie. I open the restaurant tomorrow and look forward to seeing the repeat customers who have been dining there for the last 9 years - which is when the tradition began.

If you celebrate - Happy Thanksgiving.

If not, I hope you enjoy the day to the max.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. Looking good there, guy. Baldness is a good look on you. The others, too. And that cutie in the middle, well...

    DDG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have (had) a Happy Thanksgiving.

    As for the care of the scalp, I know I have my own preference of razor.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...