Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving and the Aftermath

No, I was not reduced to chowing down on the contents of the package represented at right. Thank G*d! Though I have in the past. Don't judge me, please, it was all I had at the time. Actually, I enjoyed turkey breast, stuffing, gravy, potato boat (potato skin stuffed with garlic mashed potatoes) creamed spinach, and sauted green beans.

I pulled a double at the restaurant on Thanksgiving - opening and closing - and the time flew by. We were steadily busy for the entire day with customers coming in to dine right up the 8 pm when we closed the kitchen. I'd say about half ordered the prefixed Thanksgiving Turkey menu, the other half from the regular menu, so it was all good. We had the best staff and great return customers and most everything went smoothly until...I broke a wine glass while helping bus a table. It was my first breakage and the staff, boss and customers heckled me for the following half hour with "cajun, slow down and don't break anything else" all in fun.

I giggled myself to sleep last night. Obviously, I slept like a baby. Very glad of that because huge crowds were expected today and tonight. You see, the Outlet Malls opened at midnight with those crazy enough to brave the onslaught getting their bargains super-early, then taking a long nap before joining us for lunch and margaritas. And join us they did - in droves; large parties of 8 and 12 and even with 6 servers working the dining room it was easy to fall behind. So I helped bus again. This time nobody heckled me; they were grateful for the assistance.

It fact, as I tried to enjoy the after-shift cocktail two servers - one male, one female - attacked and planted big kisses on both cheeks as a bewildered happy hour clientele stared in stunned silence. To go one step further, one of the bartenders noticed the strained silence, came around the bar, grabbed me by both shoulders and planted a kiss on my mouth, then gave me a big bear hug. We all laughed and the bar exploded with laughter and hoots. Straight people not used to the town or this particular restaurant were shocked, but everyone just went with the flow enjoying the moment.

Today is a grand slam (pardon the sports metaphor) because we hosted not only the shoppers, but those who arrived this afternoon/evening for the annual lighting of the Beach Christmas Tree and sing-along. Some visited the restaurant prior to the lighting and many more will arrive after the lighting for dinner or light fare at the bar. When I left this evening there were many reservations and all were following the tree lighting.

My after-shift cocktail was a golden margarita and since the bar was enjoying a rather large (and loud) 'happy hour' crowd I sipped it far from the chaos at the service bar, which is where the above kissing scene played out, but even that became hectic; I knocked back the last bit, headed out the door into the quiet, brisk evening and headed back to the apartment.

Supper with a glass of wine, and some well deserved down time will round out the day.

I've been wondering if anyone remembers Advent, or the reason for the season. I guess not.

And so it goes.
*

5 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good holiday.

    The meaning of advent is the season including the four Sundays preceding Christmas.

    Do I get a gold star for that one?

    Regards, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cajun, it's good to read you had a swell time, even when you worked most of the time. But yougot a kiss out of it too !

    Let’s see if I still remember it well [as a former RC, who left the church 40 years ago].

    Advent = The Coming and starts the liturgical year. Advent starts on the Sunday between November 27 and December 3 and all the Sundays have a special name.

    1st Sunday: Levavi
    2nd Sunday: Populus Sion
    3th Sunday: Gaudete
    4th Sunday: Rorate

    Okay, I was an altar boy once too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Diane,

    A gold star AND a turkey drumstick!

    Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter,

    That was priceless. I left the RC church when I was in early teens. Whenever I have to attend an RC wedding I am reminded again and again why I made the right choice.

    Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In all the chaos of our weekend, we did not get either our Advent wreath out to light the first candle or our Moravian star up and lit in our window. today (Monday) perhaps.

    I'm weird. I love Advent and observe it and celebrate Christmas *after* the 25th - the traditional 12 days of Christmas.

    As for people remembering the true reason for the season... isn't it "shop till you drop"?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...