Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Move: A Furniture Dilemma

Got a huge list of errands out of the way today. I was almost finished when the rain came down - in buckets. I was soaked to the skin from head to toe when I arrived. Every item of clothing is drip-drying in the bathtub and I am warming these old bones.

I've decided to hire the same moving company that moved my things into storage in 2007, to move them to the new apartment.

I'll try to coordinate with co-workers to move much of what's in this apartment to the new place, as well. As soon as all paperwork is finalized and I have the key I'll begin taking boxes over daily before work.

Kitchen and Living room furniture is a challenge. I cannot tote a table, chairs, or sofa up a flight of stairs, so this evening I am searching furniture websites checking out prices, delivery services (and costs), as well as other services.  Unpacking and setting up the pieces, removing the packaging, etc. will be critical and if it costs more, so be it.

I found a few pieces at IKEA that would fit the small space, but most are not available on their website, or they nickel and dime one to death for assembly and delivery.  An inexpensive Loveseat almost doubles in price with the extra charges, so that's out of the question.

Checked out the websites of local stores, but they are slow, clunky, and lack specific information about the pieces and prices. It's clear they prefer a personal visit to the store - so why the website?

I think a search of department stores may be the way to go, since they're suffering due to the recession. Most offer delivery within a 50 mile radius, and some offer FREE delivery if a certain amount is spent on one order.  At least I'll give it a shot. It's worth a try.

A Crock-Pot (yes I know, the damned crown!) supper is ready, so after the meal, I'll settle in with a few olives and begin my quest.  Any ideas? Please leave a comment with your suggestions.

I must say I'm excited about a place of my own and the ability to have folks over for a meal, drinks, a movie night, or whatever. G*d, I feel like a young'en busting out of the parent's house.  Freedom!!!

Calm down, Cajun. Things could still fall apart. It ain't a done deal, yet.

And so it goes.
*

6 comments:

  1. I recall the issues my son and I had recently moving his stuff out of his apartment and to his new place, and there were two of us. I do not envy you this part of the metamorphosis.
    It's been so long since we've bought much furniture that I'm hard pressed for recommendations. the most recent for us was a mattress and we bought that at a local department store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do post some of your favorite crock pot recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mikes Clearance Center in Delmar, DE has some great deals. I'm not sure about delivery to Lewes but it's worth a call. Also, you'd be surprised what Big Lots has in their furniture section. The quality might not be exceptional but hey at our age we don't need it to last forever. There is a Big Lots in Milford, DE, not sure about Lewes. Just some suggestions.

    Good Luck
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm up at my Mother's house in PA cleaning out the unbelievable clutter. I'll return to Delaware next Wednesday or Thursday. I can help you move. I'll be in the mood with all this cleaning out I'm doing. I'm also off work so I'm available just about anytime. Let's try and move your mattress this time on a sunny day instead of when the heavens open with a down pour. Some timing you have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. With all this moving you're doing you're going to have to get a new name. How about "Gypsy?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron, three years on and you're still reminding me of that awful day.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...