Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day - 40 Years On...

I remember the first Earth Day in New York City. It was a beautiful spring day and the crowds were small, but curious.  It was held at the foot of South Street, one of the dirtiest and mostly boarded up little cobblestone roads in lower Manhattan.  Not at all what it has become today, a tourist trap!

There were lectures, tours of an old sailing ship, workshops for kids teaching them (city dwellers) how to be more respectful of the planet. There was even a movement to begin a modest recycling plan which, of course, got shot down from every direction in 1970.

I was in film school at the time and shot a lot of 16 mm film of the day's events, but that's all gone now, lost in the settlement of my previous life. I still have those memories, though, and they are lovely.

Happy Earth Day to all.

PS - Check out Peter's Gift tribute for the day.  Priceless!

More later.
*

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could remember the first earth day 40 years ago but I was probably too young to be aware of it. Thanks for sharing your Oldtimer memory with us younger folk. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...