Monday, April 26, 2010

Monday, Bait n' Switch, & Wasted Time

Following a painfully slow day at work, I took a look at another apartment outside of town. A small one  bedroom condo about 10 minutes from work. Open and airy with a tiny - but functional kitchen - a  dishwasher, even. The price was within reason and budget. Nice and cozy. But, suddenly the rug was yanked from under me when the owner changed his tune and told me that I was mistaken, the place was not a year-round rental, but a seasonal one. I wouldn't have bothered or wasted his time and mine if he hadn't told me the place was a year-round rental.

OK, he's trying to rent an unfurnished space from May to October? Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. No one in their right mind would truck furniture and other necessities to a place for 6 months unless they were building or buying a place and needed temporary housing.

Anyway, the market isn't hot anymore, and I doubt that he told the truth. Personally, I think he didn't like me for some reason and didn't want to rent to me. Just a hunch, but my intuition is seldom wrong.

Anyway, I am still checking out furniture sites for a loveseat and small kitchen set. While I haven't checked the local furniture stores yet, a co-worker suggested I check out J C Penney's for ideas. She says they have online-only specials that are not available in stores and they deliver and set up - FREE. I'll check into that, as well.

Re-taping boxes and hoarding others to hold the items in daily use - the challenge will be finding boxes large enough for the linens and towels. Picked up a few boxes from the liquor store that are the perfect size for items I can carry without further injury to the back or hands.

Still asking for positive thoughts (or prayers) for the apartment in town, if you can spare them. May is going to be a hectic time, but in a positive way, I hope. If this deal happens it will be a whirlwind 31 days:
Sign lease.
Get key and make copy.
Take proof of residency to the DMV to change address on license.
Take new license to Rehoboth Clerk to verify address and receive parking permit.
Open account with power company & have service turned on. Deposit. Added expense.
Call Verizon (ow!) to move phone and DSL service to new address. Added expense.
Get movers to pick up what's in storage unit & deliver it to the apartment. Added expense.
Transport boxes from this space to the new one - daily before work.
Whew! I think I need a cold compress and a few olives after all that.

And so it goes.
*

5 comments:

  1. stuffed olives, for this matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're in my prayers that everything will turn out right.
    (((((W)))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must have missed something. I was thinking that the apt in town was a done deal. Oops on me. Oh, yes, I will resume good thoughts on that matter post haste. Here, I had moved onto good thoughts about finding some great furniture deals.
    I agree about the other landlord changing his tune. For whatever reason I think he decided he did not want to rent to you and was just making stuff up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys.

    Lem: It may very well come to pass but I assume nothing anymore and only when I have a key and lease will I know I have a new home.

    I learned this hard lesson almost 4 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did I miss something also? I thought you found an apartment in town? What happened?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...