Monday, April 12, 2010

Wanted: A Two-Day Getaway

Nothing much here. Aside from work, that is - and it's been a great weekend.

However, I have been looking for a place to visit for a day or two, just to get away before the season gets into full swing and I am pressed into service 6 days a week. But...

Can someone tell me when the Bed and Breakfast rates shot up so high?  Even if their breakfast is 'gourmet' something similar is available at a good hotel for no more than $40. tops. Many in the mid-Atlantic charge more than double that of suite in a good hotel, (over $400. per night!) so what gives? Even the most expensive B & Bs here are around $200. per night - in season. Less in the off season. And it is still the off season here.


Most B&Bs here are within walking distance to the beach, with a couple farther away in secluded, wooded areas away from the crowds. Perfect for folks who want to chill far from the madding crowd. A quite good one is just off the road where I live and they are busy all 4 seasons.

I don't care about a room with a 'theme', cable TV, or Internet access.  Just a good comfortable bed and peace and quiet will do fine, thank you very much. Breakfast and perhaps a little wine and cheese in the late afternoon with other guests would be a delight. That's why we used to call these a 'get-away'.

 And what's with the "3 night minimum" in the off season - even mid week?  With only 2 days off I can only manage a two-nighter. If I leave directly from work I can settle in and get a good night's sleep, spend the next day playing tourist and finding a good place for dinner, spend a second night, and then drive back to be rested before work the following day.

I am looking at a couple of interesting sounding places in Virginia and Maryland that require more research. Both are inland, not near the beach. A place within driving distance and gay friendly is the goal. These places are reportedly both.

I'm just throwing this out to the universe to see what happens.  It may all be wishful thinking on my part.  We shall see.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this subject would be appreciated. Just leave a comment.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. what nonsense - B&B are supposed to be less expensive and quainter. If they start charging more than hotels than why not stay at a hotel with more commodities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the rare occasion that we travel (and not stay with family of some kind) we will frequently stay at a "budget" hotel. My requirements are few: clean, smoke-free, a comfortable bed, a clean and functioning bath. I do not need all the bells and whistles. I do not plan in staying in the room for very long except to sleep and I do that with my eyes shut. If I am on the road, I am gone in the morning. If visiting the area, I will be out and about. The value of most amenities are lost on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Cajun,

    Have you looked into the B & B's in St.Michaels, MD? That is such a lovely place to visit. So is Berlin, which isn't very far at all from your area. I hear the Atlantic Hotel is nice & the hotel has a nice restaurant. There's lots of shops at both. Also, Rock Hall, Maryland & Chestertown, MD are nice areas to visit. My husband was raised there.

    I hate to travel too far when I just want to get away for a week-end as it takes all the fun out of it & there's hardly no time to relax. All these places will be on the internet, so look them up if you're interested.

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lem and Fran, both are good ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...