Sunday, February 20, 2011

As the Full Moon Wanes

Saturday and today were hugely busy days at work. The jovial craziness continued unabated and, as my shift ended this evening, it looked like there was more in store. Not one party-pooper in the lot.   I love when that happens.

One episode really made my weekend.  As I was at my station with a server at my side, in streams a party of 8 delightfully joyful younger folks and as the entire party is finally in the room, the last 2 people to enter scream, "God, it's him... and him, they're both here! Oh this is just the best." I recognized the two immediately. They came in during my first summer on the job and we had a ball together as we talked about the beach, menu items and their stay in town.  They returned last summer and were happy with this very server, and that I was again welcoming them with a smile and hug.

It seems that they raved about me/us to their friends who were a part of this group. The facial expressions within the group were priceless as the snappy patter and bantering went back and forth.  Fortunately, I was able to seat them so the server was able to serve again.

As I said, it was very busy so I didn't have the time to spend with them that I would have wished.  They enjoyed cocktails, good food, and a good time was had by all. They were visiting to check out rentals for the coming season.  I hope they find something they will enjoy.

The kicker came long after they left.  After the server had closed out for the day, the Gen. Mgr. walked up to me with a big smile on her face as I waited for my festive a-s cocktail.  I asked what the big smile was about. She handed me the food check from that group on which was written a compliment about me and signed by all 8 of them.  They did the same thing with the second check for the server.

The server and I had a laugh and shared a hug as he headed home for the evening. We knew without using words that those 8 wonderful people made our day.

And then, several old friends from the previous life walked into the bar just as I was about to enjoy my festive after-shift cocktail and, as those in the past, were surprised to see me, having been told that I moved away after the breakup.  Their initial reaction was tentative, but became more comfortable as I brushed off, or made jokes, about those rumors. We shared a short chat as I enjoyed my drink and said our good-byes.  No mention of staying in touch, or getting together socially, and that's fine.  They are from the past.  I don't need baggage from that life.

While I'm not so crazy about my life as present, I love my work, the wonderful people I work with, and those I meet daily. I'll take what I can get from both.

Still, I am exhausted (back of hand placed on the forehead) and need the essence of a few olives to pull me through.

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. It certainly says something when customers leave a message like that on a food check. Well done W + Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, I should have looked for you when I came in Sat pm. I sat in the bar. Oh well... next time.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...