Saturday, February 26, 2011

Curse You , Delmarva Power, Curse You!

Scene: doghouse, Snoopy at the typewriter.  It was a dark and stormy night...

And that it was, too. Rain and high winds (up to 50 mph) broken only by moments of sun through breaks in the clouds battered this little beach town without mercy yesterday. Down limbs and whole trees were ripped from the ground.

I had 2 urgent errands to run before work so I decided it would be wise to drive the car to work and avoid getting drenched and possibly sliding into a relapse of the nasty thing I am just now slowly getting over. I am so glad I did.

Following a fairly brisk lunch crowd I enjoyed my a-s cocktail then headed home. Was just changing out of the work drag when I heard a loud "BANG" like a gun shot...then all went dark. Either due to downed power lines, or (what I feared most) a transformer exploded. Put in a call to the power company to have my worst fear verified.  Transformer. At least 4 hours before service could be restored.  Key word here, "could" be restored.

What to do?  I called to find out if the restaurant had also lost power. Thankfully, it had not.  I toyed with the idea of heading back there for a warm something for supper, but the rain and wind made me think twice.  Lit candles in each room, made a festive martini and considered the options. A search of the refrigerator yielded many options, but all required re-heating, except one.  Tuna salad made the day before was the evening special last night.

As the apartment began to get colder and colder, I decided to brush my teeth and crawl under the covers and call it a night. Annoyed that I had no hot water for a shower I kept the sweats on and crawled in. The flannel sheets are wonderful in cold weather.  No matter how one turns there is never a cold spot in the bed. Fell asleep quickly.

Rudely awakened by bright light at midnight meant that the power was back on. All clocks were blinking as I went to blow out the single candle I left burning in the bathroom JIC, and went back to bed as the heat began to bring the place back to life.

Woke at usual time (5 am) and realized I must have slept 10 hours last night.  I guess I really needed the rest and time off the computer - which I didn't miss at all. Seems the storm has passed and I enjoyed a coffee and the morning news on the local NPR station as I went about resetting all f**king clocks and timers all over the place. The only appliance without one is my blessed Senseo coffee maker.

Took a shower and while getting ready for work, checked email and the news blogs.  It appears that the top news story is the demise of the Hasbro Easy-Bake Oven.  No, I am not kidding. Seems that without the incandescent bulbs to heat the thing, little ones will never again get to taste one of those wretched, stinky cakes that came out of those things.

Secondary stories were of the union-busting attempts in various states, followed by unrest and brutality in Libya, Iran, etc.  Long live Easy-Bake!!! Yes. (sigh!)

Look at it this way; it's only 9 hours before I can sit down with a few olives.  In the meantime I get to enjoy the company of diners and regulars who will insure that time goes quickly.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...