Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Kindle Fire, Smart-phone - Dumb-user.

Guilty.  With these smart phones everything is slide, tap once, swype, tap twice, tap-hold-drag, (sounds like dance steps, don't it?) and always remember to use the menu which is different for every app or, whatever. And how does one know if a tap is necessary? Instinct? 

I. Don't. Think. So.

More trial and error, than anything else.  Then you're supposed to remember what actions you took to do what you wanted to do and get where you wanted to go.  Does this make any sense?

I am learning. My head hurts.  The phone rang for the first time today and I tapped the phone icon - nothing happened - tapped twice, and nothing. The caller finally hung-up. I learned later that to answer a call one must 'swype' the icon across the screen from left to the right.  Who knew?

Similar steps are true with the Kindle Fire.  With a few differences - swiping is done from right to left.  Why?  Dunno.  At least the manufacturers made an attempt to simplify and standardize as many procedures as possible  without infringing on whatever patents were involved.

Am I just an elder sage trying to rationalize my own ignorance, or is there some merit to my explanation?  Dunno.  My head hurts.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. That's why my cell is just for phoning, no difficult tasks to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an idiot when it comes to technology. Fred has to teach me everything and still, I stumble through it. Most of the time, I ask my 12 year old for help. Don't feel so bad.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Peter: That's what I have been doing, but my new life consists more of texting & web (work-related) than voice airtime. I mean, no one calls me, so this was the best next step.

    @Mark: I am discovering that we are not alone and that your 12-yr-old may be worth a fortune for technical knowledge alone. Oh, and don't call yourself an "idiot", it is frightfully unbecoming. ;-)

    Thanks for the visit and comments, guys.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...