Sunday, June 30, 2013

Blackout 1965 - Hurricane Sandy 2012: Baby-Makers

Walking to work this morning, as I crossed the Avenue I noticed there was a long line to get into the Bakery.

That in itself wouldn't be unusual for any morning in summer.  What made this queue different was that there were 8 very pregnant women in that line all standing so I could see their profile.  A few had toddlers in strollers which made the image even more amazing.  Many looked like they just might explode if their cravings weren't satisfied  - immediately.  I mean, these gals were HUGE!

I would've taken a quick picture, but I didn't want to embarrass them, or myself.

The Bake Shoppe is the (oldest and) only family bakery in town offering delicious pastries, cakes, croissants, donuts, and muffins.  The only other place in town is Dunkin' Donuts in the beach block and though many tourists are prone to go with what they know, the more adventurous tend to give the bakery a chance and they are not disappointed.

When I got to work, I remembered so many others just like those 8 waddling down the avenue, some nearly unable to sit down on a bench.  So, I wondered why all this potential new life should ripen at this time.  Then, I did the math, worked backwards in time,  and realized that Super Hurricane Sandy hit us 8 months ago and hundreds of thousands of homes were without power for days, even weeks.

It reminded me of the east coast blackout in November of 1965 which produced a bumper crop of babies  the following summer, so we ought not be surprised this time around, either.

I recognized one woman straight away, when she arrived for lunch with the hubby, a toddler, and grandmother.  She was wearing a bright multi-colour  top that drew attention to the belly. They (She) ate the most bizarre combination of menu items, and their total bill for the party of 4 came to over $100. - and mind you, no alcohol.  After they left their server noted that by her menu choices and size, the mom-to-be was likely to deliver twins.  This server knows, she has twins of her own.

Cocktail at the ready, I venture forth onto the Intertubes in search of a travel package to meet my upcoming travel needs. Wish me luck.

And so it goes.

*

5 comments:

  1. next time you see these huge cows, just MOOOOOOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canada have very cool temperatures...


    just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. When making your hotel reservations through the Internet be careful. Some sites pose as hotels but they aren't. Make your reservation through them and you'll pay more for your room. I made that mistake when Bill and I took our annual trip south a few months ago. The "800" number was really for a faux web site and I ended up paying over a $100 more for our two rooms (for two nights). I couldn't get my credit card to reserve the charges either. Make sure you deal directly with the hotel and not a website that claims to be the hotel. The first clue I should have had was the foreign accent of the "hotel reservation clerk." Since I was making the reservation at the Hampton Inn in Marion NC I expected a southern accent but not a Hispanic accent. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've decided to let American Express Travel handle everything, flight, hotel, car rental, etc. No extra charges and a number of good deals to be had, as well.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...