Monday, February 23, 2009

It's A Monday!

Oh man, was this ever a Monday!

Arrived at work where the heat was not working. No one to call at 7 am, so I futzed around and discovered the circuit breaker had been inadvertently switched off with the lights and outlets. Someone was not thinking when they closed up shop last night. It was 40' F when I got the thing going.

Setting up was a slow process due to the cold. I couldn't wear gloves - it's jewelry, you know - so I'd stop after setting up each case and shove my cold digits into pockets for a few minutes attempting to bring feeling back into them. It took hours to heat up the place and fortunately it was a brisk 62 when I opened the store. I removed the coat but kept the sweater on all day.

When I left to keep the Dr. appt. the poor old heater continued chugging away, it hadn't stopped once all day just trying to get the temperature up to 67'F. I left plenty of time to get the the Dr's office but, wouldn't you know, there was major road work going on and the back roads were crammed with every kind of road working device one could imagine. Then one machine stalled on the roadway and all traffic was diverted, forced to detour around the mess. I followed the cars ahead of me and waited to find a familiar road to get me where I needed to be in less than 10 minutes.

It turns out that we had back tracked a few miles but ended up on a major roadway that would still get me to the destination, but not on time. Why? Because of school buses stopping and disgorging little ones all along the route. This meant that traffic in both directions was building to a major problem. When drivers get antzy in situations like this, they forget how to function because, well, life is all about them, after all.

I came up to the light for the last back road to the office and arrived - 10 minutes late - but I made it. When I was called in and weighed I asked the nurse not to take my blood pressure right away as I knew it would be high. She smiled and agreed to wait.

So glad I asked for that extra time to decompress, because the BP has been the major concern lately, and I wanted to make certain the new medication taken for two months had an opportunity to help me readjust to the situation. Testing the med, instead of me.

It worked. The BP is back within normal range - for my age and weight - and the Dr. was very pleased. In December the BP was 197 over 125. Today it came in at 122 over 78 which is a huge difference. I have a new one year prescription for the same medication and got a clear green light for the next six months. Yay Me!

I stuck with the main roads on the way back, dropped off the prescription, and picked up a bottle of wine to celebrate. Well, you gotta celebrate any little victory these days; they are so few and far between. Besides, they say red wine is good for the heart and digestive system and I believe them, whoever "them" is.

I am relieved and relaxed now and having slipped out of the clothes plan to slip into a glass of Merlot and figure out what to do for supper. It's too late to do a crock pot thingy, but I'll come up with something creative.

And so it goes.

*

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the good news on the
    BP. Yes, that is quite a (good) difference in numbers. Mine are not that good.

    It did seem as if Monday was trying to throw you under the bus - figuratively speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderfully entertaining post. I saw "The Heartbreak Kid" last night on DVD (instead of going to Harvey's Oscar party) and you adventures today gave me more laughs than that Ben Stiller, Farrelly brothers remake. Ever notice how sometimes a day starts out bad and the whole day just goes to hell? I'm at work now. Only three folks in the hotel. Wouldn't you know that one old couple from New York are turning out to be Major High Maintenance? She can't find her way to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Why aren't we having breakfast in the breakast room tomorrow (because there are only three people in the hotel lady!), why can't she drive her car and park at the Buttery (I told her to go ahead but don't come back to me and complain when she can't find a parking spot.) I'm expecting more of the same when they return. Guaranteed that phone is going to ring. Why is it so windy? Did you know it was going to be this windy? You know how it goes. You need to get one of these hotel front desk jobs. Talk about testing your blood pressure. I could use an appletini right now. On the other hand, maybe not. Mr. Hyde may make an appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merlot is in such style these days. Height of fashion.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...