Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Soloist vs. Ringing Cell Phone

A while back I posted a piece about a performance of Mahler's 9th being interrupted because of a ringing cellphone.  I also recalled times I witnessed similar situations in Broadway theaters, but this one is simply priceless.

This violinist, playing a bit of Bach to an obviously "select" group, does his own, tasteful take on the situation and I am hopeful the offender was suitably embarrassed - never to be invited to such a concert again.
A class act, but did he finish the Bach piece? Not likely.

I'm no prude, but when I spend $100. for a Broadway show, or even just $10 to see a movie, I want to get lost in the experience for the allotted time; not be brought back to reality too soon or have the performance interrupted because of selfish people like this - who should stay home and rent the show or movie on DVD for viewing while they chat on the phone.

I stopped going to the movies here simply because flashing a slide on the big screen asking that patrons turn off all electronic devices doesn't cut it and there are no ushers to police the theatres for violators. 

How long before this kind of obnoxious behavior causes violence? Some humans should not be allowed to breed - or breathe!

And so it goes, again.
*

4 comments:

  1. oh but I hate cellphones!
    I think we should consider them no different than picking your nose; go do that in private !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame! Like you I won't go to the movies anymore because there is always somebody who seems to think they have to explain scenes to their seat-mate, oblivious to the annoyance they're causing the other people in the theater. I also would never by a live performance CD because always, ALWAYS there is somebody coughing...ALWAYS! And don't even get me started on cellphones ringing in inappropriate places. Lest I be caught, my cell phone ring tone is two gentle swipes of a harp. When hearing it one would think it is entrance music for the angels of The Coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ron: Isn't it sad that society has fallen to such a low that even light entertainment is almost impossible because of selfish people? And you KNOW I hate cell phones. Mine is on most of the day because of work. My days off and the phone is off, too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...