Friday, March 30, 2007

Moving: Day Two

OK, so I'm a day late and a dollar short. The rest was necessary and most welcome.

Thursday’s itinerary turned out to be easier than Wednesday's. Three friends arrived within 15 minutes of one another. After coffee and light conversation about the world’s problems, hatches and trunks were opened and the loading up began.

The fabulous (and I do mean fabulous) four made quick work of the boxes and a few more pieces of furniture that miraculously fit into the vehicles. Even a large and rather bulky CD/DVD cabinet made the trip. When our caravan arrived at the new place we found my new roomie cutting new carpet on the driveway, so we waited, watching as he nervously “measured twice and cut once” then he put the dogs and cats in his room so we could keep the door open. What a blessing that was.

The unloading went much faster this time and roomie was there to tell us where to put the furniture. He had rearranged the pieces brought over on Wednesday and, I must say, it all looks good in his place.

We were finished by lunchtime, and after playing with roomie’s two dogs for a while everyone dispersed to run whatever errands they had. I am grateful for their help. I didn’t know how I was going to do this by myself. I am blessed. Really.

I had various lists from which to choose; everything from making another trip with more clothing, picking up odds and ends, groceries, hardware, more boxes, and work.

I managed to get through 2 lists before giving in to fatigue. My brain just didn’t function anymore.

How tired was he, Johnny? Well, forgetting that the flatware was already at the new place, I reached for the plastic dinnerware ( I call it the crystal dinnerware - it's more A-List gay that way) only to find there were no forks left – plenty of knives and spoons – not one fork. After briefly toying with the idea of eating dinner with a spoon, or going out somewhere, I was too tired and decided to make a run to the store for a small box of plastic forks.

Upon my return I misjudged entry to the garage and the side mirror snagged the freezer door and opened it briefly as I backed out to try again. Something fell off the freezer when the door opened but I knew not what. I quickly found out…it was the brand new gallon of auto coolant I had just purchased, its top had busted on impact and coolant was leaking all over the floor of the garage. Two rolls of paper towels later...

All that for a fucking fork.

Today was easy by comparison; CoA to the post office, drop off recyclables, visit the bank, stop by work for boxes, and a short trip to the grocery store. More sorting and tossing than packing today and streaming NPR as I do some web work and write this piece of craziness. That’s as it should be.

It’s been quite a surprising week. Now it’s cocktail time. Cheers!

More later.

*

1 comment:

  1. When moving, the first rule is to always pack away your favorite eating utensils and favorite bowl or dish. With my last move, I still haven't found my favorite fork and knife (packed away safely somewhere). I have made two trips to Pennsylvania looking for those utensils! Good to hear you're making the move with your many friends. Just remember, "Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple." What did he say? Sorry about the cutsie pic. We have to do something about that.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...